Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheel nuts

rickprice

Folks,

I took off the nuts yesterday to spray them silver.

As I removed them it was obvious the collars were falling apart. I therefore would appear to need a set of replacements.

Are all nuts the same, as they say? I would normally go with OPC parts.

Richu

Hi Richu,

This is a common if somewhat alarming problem. If you are running spacers you will need longer bolts, otherwise standard length are fine.

I bought a set from a porsche breakers on fleabay and then painted them, much cheaper than a new set! Some more useful info here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=133104

if your locking nut collars also need replacing- rather than buy a new set- just buy 4 more new bolts. The bolts will knock through the collars relatively easily- I heated the collars with a blowtorch to expand them a tad first. then set the collar on the vice and tapped the old bolts out and new ones in.

I found that the modern 997 locking wheel bolts were rather ugly and the design made them very difficult to refurb. So I changed mine to a set of the older design that I had on my Boxster. OCD... possibly! :dont know:

Attachments

• 20190423_200320_210.jpg
    20190423_200320_210.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 2,388
I do like the look of these - I have the McGard ones which do look tatty.

My concern would be that you could bang a hex head onto those and then be able to remove them - is this not possible?

Does anyone know if there is a Porsche 'official' locking nut? I am due to renew my warrantee later and they will bounce it if I am non-compliant.

Richard

They are supplied by Porsche and my car has an extended OPC warranty, so no problems there. A normal hex socket would quickly round-off the splines.

To be honest, I would not get too hung-up on them, a lot of people run their cars with no locking bolts at all. After all, I cannot remember the last time I heard of someone having just their alloy wheels stolen :?:

I went in another direction and put titanium bolts on to mine. No more rust or discolouration although definitely not the cheapest option out there.

I also gave the locking bolts a miss. I don't have a warranty to worry about so it doesn't affect me if OPCs get hung up about them missing.

The spline type of locking wheel bolt .. it never gives a problem .. well at least not for me and I've seen a few !!

The later type .. the one in the middle of the picture .. its junk .. it corrodes so you cant get the lock nut on it .. the lock nut often slips and there is a range of lock nuts that are made of a 2 piece monkey metal .. the parts separate then slip then break.

Basically if you have this type i would highly recommend binning them or never driving the car in the wet .

Did i mention i hate them with a passion :?:

OK, where do I source the spline nuts?

As opposed to pine nuts😂

Richard

I don't see the point in them at all. Your car has a tilt sensor on so as soon as someone tries to jack it up, the alarm goes off. If someone really wanted to steal your alloys, the locking wheel nuts would be last of their problems.

Thanks everybody for the input.

I have bought a new set of nuts and locking wheel nuts.

The colour match is a lot better than the rusty old ones, whose collars were literally falling apart - scarily!

Like the silicone covers, mind - might have gone for those if I knew about them and could have got them in silver.

Rich

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back