Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo tyre help.

culligran

Afternoon,
I'm looking for some help with tyres for a newly purchased 997 turbo.
It's a gen 1. With non OEM wheels. I bought it from a private man and have put it into my local OPC for a report. They have come back saying it needs 4 x tyres as the fronts are worn on the inside edge and the tears are cracked on the inside wall. The problem I have is that the tears appear to be too narrow for the rims. They are currently 325/25/R20 and the wheel is proud of the rim bead on both inside and outside. Should I go up to a 345/25/R20 on the rear? And what is the best tyre choice at this size? The OPC is not helping much because the wheels are non Porsche.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Image of the car

Attachments

• 513ae66a_ff8e_4bdd_ba7c_549352c5d6cf_444.jpeg
    513ae66a_ff8e_4bdd_ba7c_549352c5d6cf_444.jpeg
    982.5 KB · Views: 6,694
What make wheels and tyre? and Rim size? - they must be quite wide 12" + ?

When I got my 997.1 Turbo it came with 20" HRE - but they are only wearing 305/25 Continentals, and seem OK (11" rims though) on the rear.

I wasn't a fan of the ride - to crashey in sports mode - though now I am on 19" BBS CHR with a DSC module I do wonder about giving the 20"s another try.

They do fill the wheel arches better IMO.

Some of the tyre make offer better rim protection also IIRC , I think Michelin are particularly good?

Nice colour and with the aero quite rare :thumb:

It's important to know the rim width as this should define the correct tyre width.

As Vlad pointed out some tyres sit different to others and rim protection can make it look different too.

The rim width would be stamped on the inside of the wheel, usually along with the offset and rim size so your rear might have 13j x 20 5/130 ET30.
It's the first number, usually followed by J which gives the wheel width in inches.
When you know that check on a tyre width table (tap that as your search into Google) and you should then have your recommended tyre width for the rim width.
A 13inch rim would be 325-335 and a max of 345

You may find yourself limited in the choice of tyre in the bigger sizes and can be eye wateringly expensive so sometimes why you find a less than ideal size been fitted.

Another reason could be tyre rub with the larger sizes hence compromise made.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back