Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help with Oil leak. Update

taffybloke

Silverstone
I have a leak from a Brass coloured dome shaped nut between engine and gearbox sump. oil only on the nut and not on the flange its fitted to

Attachments

• img_20190420_133409_120.jpg
    img_20190420_133409_120.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,535
You have recently had work done on the tip box .. the sump has been painted .

The fluid has also been changed and probably in the last 2 weeks .

This may be residue from that work .. it may be slightly over filled or the nut isn't tight ..

If my memory is correct its also a ZF box .

Hi DeMort. I removed the sump to replace the selector input shaft oil seal, the sump was replaced as it was warped, it is not painted and new from OPC, a new gasket was fitted and the oil filled as instructions.

This was done about 5 months ago but only done about 500 miles since.

The nut is tight and the oil is not running down to it as the top of it going into the case is dry. The sump gasket is dry and I cant see any sign of oil any where else. The box is a Mercedes 722.6 not ZF.

I am guessing the nut seal is leaking, can this nut be removed to reseal it or will it drain the box? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Regards. Mike.

The oil is so dam clean i new it had to be fresh oil !

I'm afraid i don't know everything and this is something i'm unsure of ..

i believe its the fill tube or a check tube .. there is a seal under that nut and you will get some fluid out when you remove it.

i very much doubt it will drain the box but catch what comes out and reuse it when you check the lvl afterwards .

seal i believe is no. 10 here ...

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=3&MDL=25&TBL=2573&SMA=&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

EDIT ..

Instructions are here and scroll down .. its a the fill tube but i think most of us just use B in the image .. the hex on the side of the sump .

https://www.renntech.org/topic/31074-atf-filling-procedure-on-my02-tiptronic/

Thanks deMort, you are a gem. I did indeed fill through B in the image and use an IR thermometer to check the temperature. I will order the seals and report back.

Thanks again. Mike.

Update

deMort, You were spot on with this issue. The leak was indeed coming from the fill tube and when I removed the cap their was no washer fitted also the valve inside was leaking so I replaced the valve, cap and the two crush washers and refilled the oil.

Thanks deMort.

Mike

Attachments

• sump_182.jpg
    sump_182.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 1,072

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back