Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water Pump Replacement - Metal Gasket

DucatiRob

Mugello
Hi all, advice needed :thumb: changing my water pump tomorrow, Pierburg item came with a metal gasket that has a rounded ridge pressed into it! Assuming this type of gasket doesn't need any sort of sealant?

No sealant young man and it comes with the oil gasket as well which isn't needed .. the separate bit with a couple of tabs holding it in one piece .. you cut this bit off .

Clean up the surface of the engine before fitting .. scotch brite or emery cloth .

deMort said:
No sealant young man and it comes with the oil gasket as well which isn't needed .. the separate bit with a couple of tabs holding it in one piece .. you cut this bit off .

Clean up the surface of the engine before fitting .. scotch brite or emery cloth .

Cheers deMort :thumb:

Hoping this job will be a little easier than the starter cable last week, still bear the scars :sad:

DucatiRob said:
deMort said:

Cheers deMort :thumb:

Hoping this job will be a little easier than the starter cable last week, still bear the scars :sad:

I changed the waterpump on my Boxster a few months back, it`s really straight forward, just make sure you have a 1/4 inch socket set as some of the bolts are tricky to get to :thumb:

kurlykris said:
I changed the waterpump on my Boxster a few months back, it`s really straight forward, just make sure you have a 1/4 inch socket set as some of the bolts are tricky to get to :thumb:

Yes, 1/4 inch socket set to hand :thumb: Learned the hard way, nothing is easy to get ay on these cars!

It must be the season for water pumps to fail. Mine packed up a few days ago on the way home from work. I started to hear the tell tale, rumbling sound coming from the rear of the car and once in the garage, the engine relieved itself of a litre of coolant. Weirdly, that's all the coolant that came out and it just stopped dead after that. I was also surprised at how clean the coolant was, but I did replace it a couple of years ago.

I too have ordered all the parts including; Pierburg water pump and gasket, Coolant and a ribbed belt, just in case the old one was damaged. I'll be driving it in to my Indy next Saturday to have the work done. If, however this is the original water pump that failed, its done bloody well for 96K miles!

Mine packed up recently too,

chowgar said:
It must be the season for water pumps to fail. Mine packed up a few days ago on the way home from work. I started to hear the tell tale, rumbling sound coming from the rear of the car and once in the garage, the engine relieved itself of a litre of coolant. Weirdly, that's all the coolant that came out and it just stopped dead after that. I was also surprised at how clean the coolant was, but I did replace it a couple of years ago.

I too have ordered all the parts including; Pierburg water pump and gasket, Coolant and a ribbed belt, just in case the old one was damaged. I'll be driving it in to my Indy next Saturday to have the work done. If, however this is the original water pump that failed, its done bloody well for 96K miles!

That's good going to last 96k, mine was at 80k, maybe had a few k more left in it, but with a few Euro trips planned didn't want to risk it! Pig of a job to replace without taking the rear engine bracket off completely so well worth getting an Indy to do it :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back