Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken down, cut out. Fuel tank collapsed, bent sender

Its been that long since i've done one of these i had to look at the instructions .. they are in the Faq as i'm sure you know .

Pict below of it anyways .. yes it seems it needs calibrating .. i don't remember doing this on anything other than a C4 but i've changed so few of these i don't really remember i'm afraid ..

Not sure but if its the old one then perhaps the float arm is bent .

ill tell you what i would do if it was my car ..

line up then triangle with the 2 lines .. float points to the n/s i think , then lift it out and look for any pipe that might catch the float . reposition if needed but from your symptoms i dont think it is ..

I would then bend the float arm up by 1 cm .. refit , stick a jerry can in the boot and drive till it ran out .. i'm guessing it would be pretty dam close at that point ..

you could repeat the above but i would just tend to make a note of the milage it runs out at .. that will be your tank is empty setting ... for me id rather it read empty but still had 10 - 20 miles left .

If it was a customer i would fit a brand new sensor and calibrate it with a tester .

Attachments

• sender_1_129.jpg
    sender_1_129.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 840
deMort said:
Its been that long since i've done one of these i had to look at the instructions .. they are in the Faq as i'm sure you know .

Pict below of it anyways .. yes it seems it needs calibrating .. i don't remember doing this on anything other than a C4 but i've changed so few of these i don't really remember i'm afraid ..

Not sure but if its the old one then perhaps the float arm is bent .

ill tell you what i would do if it was my car ..

line up then triangle with the 2 lines .. float points to the n/s i think , then lift it out and look for any pipe that might catch the float . reposition if needed but from your symptoms i dont think it is ..

I would then bend the float arm up by 1 cm .. refit , stick a jerry can in the boot and drive till it ran out .. i'm guessing it would be pretty dam close at that point ..

you could repeat the above but i would just tend to make a note of the milage it runs out at .. that will be your tank is empty setting ... for me id rather it read empty but still had 10 - 20 miles left .

If it was a customer i would fit a brand new sensor and calibrate it with a tester .

I also assumed it was just for the C4 cars but if there is a procedure I will try to follow it.

The float arm is the same as the other 3 I have and none are bent, when the tank lifts due to vacuum the float lifts with it, the only parts that seem to break are the hard fixed parts, I may have a quick go at swapping sender parts over with a set amount of fuel in the tank and see what readings I get,

The float does point to the N/S, what do you mean by the triangle with 2 lines, I'm sure it is obvious but nothing springs to mind at the moment.

Its probably down to the new fuel tank .. perhaps the base is in a different position than your last one .

If you can calibrate it then go with that .. if you can't then bend the rod up a bit.

Picture below of the markings .. i must have been thinking of 997 .. i remember some of them have that triangle anyways .. just not sure which ones .. there is always some sort of marking though when there are pipes in a tank ..thats any car not just Porsche .

Attachments

• position_1_148.jpg
    position_1_148.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 777
I have previously checked for markings on various occasions but never noticed anything, will have a look when I strip it down again. I'll probably just adjust the float and trial and error to get me to zero mile range with a few miles in reserve to be on the safe side.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back