Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

MisterCorn said:
Bracket for the shift housing finished off. I need to pick up a few parts to finish the cable ends off so more will follow. I'm pitting together a video to show all of the details and parts required.

Look forward to seeing this as I have cup cables to fit to mine.

Thanks

I need a pair of half nuts and a couple of screws, but the cup cables are coming together.

MC

Camshaft cover cleaned up and dropped back in to place, with some assembly lube on the bearings. This isn't being sealed yet, so hasn't been torqued up properly, it has just been nipped up so that I can turn the engine over 360 degrees to do the other side and the IMS bearing cover.

Lightweight flywheel has arrived but won't be fitted to this engine as I want to have it balanced with the rotating assembly for the new engine.

MC

Crankshaft turned 360 degrees, exhaust manifold off, exhaust bracket off, coil cover and coils out and then remove the camshaft cover.

All looks OK in there. Next job is to remove the camshafts.

MC

Nice one MC.

You going to have to give it a good pasting in the interests of development then ??? :thumb:

Jamesx19 said:
Nice one MC.

You going to have to give it a good pasting in the interests of development then ??? :thumb:

I need to put back together first. I bought another engine today for 'development parts'....

MC

I'm interested in the balancing.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this before on a 996 and having read about Hartech rebuilds not heard it mentioned there.

Is it normally considered unnecessary?

From past experience from other engines I would have thought it would be good practice and a big benefit getting a rebuilt engine fully balanced at perhaps Vibration Free especially when changing the flywheel.

rdodger said:
I'm interested in the balancing.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this before on a 996 and having read about Hartech rebuilds not heard it mentioned there.

Is it normally considered unnecessary?

From past experience from other engines I would have thought it would be good practice and a big benefit getting a rebuilt engine fully balanced at perhaps Vibration Free especially when changing the flywheel.

Not normally done, but this engine will be using the lightweight flywheel, EN40B crank, and revving to around 8k. It needs all the help it can get .

MC

Is the crank a bespoke item MC or off the shelf from somewhere?

Sounds expensive!

Jamesx19 said:
Is the crank a bespoke item MC or off the shelf from somewhere?

Sounds expensive!

It is one that a well known engine builder has had made for the 3.6l. It is the partner engine to the one Dammit discusses in the Benchrace2000 thread.

MC

With the engine locked in place at the crankshaft pulley, the two tensioners for cylinders 1-3 and the intermediate shaft drive were loosened.

Then the drive removed from the exhaust camshaft. The drive sprocket was held to the chain with tie wraps so that it wouldn't move.

The camshafts were then removed.

Tappets all removed and stored in order, then the tappet chest removed. With this out I checked how much clearance there was under the bolts as I knew that there was a minor difference in thickness on the mounting points for the prototype tappet chest, so I need to check it will clamp down properly.

Spot the difference between the standard and prototype tappet chest.

New tappet chest dropped in place and the bolts which fit fitted loosely, followers fitted with a dob of bearing lube around each one.

I need to get some thicker washers for a few of the bolts, so it can't go back together until next week.

MC

NedHan79 said:
What's the idea behind changing the tappet chest?

The standard one is quite weak and can break when the engine is used at high RPM for extended periods of time. More importantly, in the next revision we will be running with reprofiled camshafts with a smaller base circle. The machined tappet chest will enable us to bring the support up the sides higher to properly support the followers, and also to move the oil hole up by the correct amount to ensure proper oil supply. This is just a prototype with the standard dimensions to make sure that we have the basics right. It will also mean we can run other followers if we chose to do so by changing the bore size.

MC

I see. Will you get new cams or go for reprofiled? Is that even done now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back