Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Ignition Switched Footwell Accessory Socket

m1kegibson

The cigar lighter and footwell accessory sockets in the Gen 2 are always live (I think this is also the case with Gen 1). This is great when using a battery conditioner (e.g. CTEK) as it means this can be connected via the cigar lighter. NB - The cigar socket is protected by 15A fuse whereas accessory sockets by 7.5A - You must always use the cigar socket for big loads (e.g. tyre compressor) and for charging.

However, I am not sure how many others have the issue of having several accessories plugged into the accessory socket - in my case, a charging adaptor for phone; a Road Angel and a dash cam. Whilst all are in standby when not in use, I do not unplug them as it's a bind to unplug/plug in the blessed multi-way socket I use for all these adaptors; it also means the wiring, normally neatly concealed has a habit of coming out of its hiding places. What I do find is that the combined drain of these various devices, albeit in standby, contributes to the draining of the battery when left for any period of time.

In an ideal world, the accessory socket(s) would be switched (ie turned on with ignition) and off when the ignition is off. Further, it would be helpful if the socket could then be turned on permanently should the need arise.

I considered a couple of options. One could run a switched live from the fuse box situated in the drivers footwell (from fuse row C) and use a SPDT switch to select between this and permanent 12V supply, wiring this to the accessory outlet. In the end I elected to use a relay to switch the existing 12V supply and avoid changing the loading on any of the existing fused circuits.

I have posted a guide to what I did here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1138900-997-2-ignition-switched-footwell-accessory-socket.html

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back