Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions on 1998 996 C2 Manual

GaryG

Hi all, hopefully this is the right section- I'm interested in the car linked below and wanted some opinions/check I'm not missing anything too obvious.

Initial conversions the seller made clear the condensers need replacing and that its "had some paintwork" (no accident damage) which I'll investigate further on inspection. The gearbox was replaced due to whine, not sure if this is common? Should I be checking the engine- boroscope or rev range check? It's a good 3+ hrs from me so trying to get as much of an idea as possible before viewing.

Cheers

Porsche 911 996 3.4 C2 manual coupe.
Factory fitted extras include.
030 lowered sports suspension
18" turbo hollow spoke wheels
LSD/ switchable traction control
Sports seats not currently fitted but are included.
Also fitted with the Aero body kit same thats found on the GT3 model.

Mot till April 2020 with no advisory's for the past 2 years.

Comes with a full service history 18 stamps in the book.
Last serviced with Millers Nanodrive 10/50 as recommended by Hartec
Recent big spends have been new clutch & rear wheel bearings £4500
Replacement water pump £1500
IMS/RMS have both been replaced during my ownership last year, The same time a rebuilt Gearbox was fitted.
New disc & Pads last year, and 2 new rads fitted this year,

Please keep in mind this is a old car but on saying that its only had 2 previous owner before me, not bad for a 20 year old Porsche.
On saying that it polishes up nicely as the photos show and apart from the air con everything works as it should.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/263606634593998/

I wouldn't bother with a borescope inspection, not on a manual 3.4l. A good set of factory options. The LSD will be shot, I would check that the wheels really are hollow spoke, ask for a picture of the backs.
As mentioned, service prices look inflated. I would want to know why the IMS bearing was changed and by whom. The early C2 has the best early bearing fitted and rarely gives a problem. Gearbox problems are not that rare so the swap there is no biggie.

A decent spec and a reasonable price. Definitely worth a look IMO.

MC

When you say 18" Turbo hollow spokes, which variant - 993?

Thanks all.

I would assume when the seller says 'turbo hollow spokes" he is referring to the style and they aren't actually the hollow ones.

Good points RE the IMS and where it was done, I'll ask the question.

Any reason why 'the LSD will be shot"?

The LSD plates wear over time. I think a figure of around 50k miles for a service life is expected. Not an expert on these but I have heard it mentioned quite a few times. I wouldn't pay extra on a car with that mileage for an LSD. It probably won't be working well, and unless you are on the track you don't really need it anyway.

MC

GaryG said:
I would assume when the seller says 'turbo hollow spokes" he is referring to the style and they aren't actually the hollow ones

I would assume if they state hollow spokes then they are hollow spokes. Hollow spoke isn't a style.

No offence but the ad just reads BS to me. Who pays £4500 for a couple of wheel bearings and a clutch - God?

Even if that included yanking the ims bearing out and nailing a replacement in that figure's still in another stratosphere.

MisterCorn said:
The LSD plates wear over time. I think a figure of around 50k miles for a service life is expected. Not an expert on these but I have heard it mentioned quite a few times. I wouldn't pay extra on a car with that mileage for an LSD. It probably won't be working well, and unless you are on the track you don't really need it anyway.

MC

Ah ok fair enough so it's probably worn now to the point of being an open differential- I guess that's no real issue.

Alex said:
No offence but the ad just reads BS to me. Who pays £4500 for a couple of wheel bearings and a clutch - God?

Even if that included yanking the ims bearing out and nailing a replacement in that figure's still in another stratosphere.

No offence taken! Not my car nor advert- just one that I'm interested in. I haven't researched the cost of a replacement clutch and don't really care if the seller claims it cost £4500- for all I know it might have gone to an OPC, in which case anything is possible!

I would guess not everyone's a P car expert so 'hollow spoke turbo alloys" becomes just a general phrase..could even be non oem copies for all I or the seller knows! Like you say, I'll check the back of the spokes, tbh the wheels are least of my concern.

Most likely a very decent car, just find it a bit tedious when folk write stuff in ads that's a bit unbelievable. FYI budget £600 inc. VAT for a new clutch fitted.

I swear that this is a forum member's car :?

Sure I have seen those pics before :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back