Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

lack of damping?

Halcyon

The front end feels a bit "jiggly" and a little uncontrolled.
the shocks are original and the car's done 65k
there's no sign of leaks / damp around the shocks.
The "secondary spring" / bump stop is split on one side, but the bushes etc all look fine.
The "jiggliness" doesn't feel like it's more on one side than another.

The rear shocks were replaced last year (one lost its fluid)
When that went, it didn't feel like this, it was more of a lurch under harder cornering.

So does anyone have experience and / or advice? how do I test the shocks? Or could it be the top mount / bearing?

Please don't just say "go to CoG!" as that would be uneconomical; / unfeasible for me :p besides, I like fixing shizzle myself :)

Could be shocks/top mounts but my money would be on coffin arms if they are original. Getting in the air and checking for play in any joints by putting a bar on them and seeing if they move.
The actual parts for a front end refresh are not wildly expensive if buying pattern parts it's labor and geo that start to add up

Coffin arms were a consideration, but don't they creak when they go?
There wasn't any movement last MOT in May - but obviously they could have gone since!
they are pretty cheap for pattern parts though, labour would be free as I can do the work, geo is about £100
It would be a faff to change them and still have the issue though!! :hand:

Yes, if I was going to do the job (if I had the ability) I'd probably think about a refresh with new shocks top mounts bump stops coffin arms etc. Most bits are relatively cheap from autodoc

started pricing up the parts today.
£145 in nuts and bolts ALONE. :eek:

I know what you mean. Many a time I have come away from my OPC with a small mix of parts and a big bill. Some parts like plastic clips are crazy cheap, but if it has metal in it it is going to cost. I do use non-Porsche bolts for standard stuff, but there are enough odd size bolts tgat you have no choice. Most bolts simply don't need changing, just nice to fit new ones I guess.

MC

Too right about the parts.
Many a time I've priced a project up yet it's come it at double by the time I've bought the genuine fasteners and things. Bit annoying but as you say Martin it just feels right to fit new everything.

I wish I could be more like Ed China and fit rusty bolts back onto to lovely new parts. :grin:

I still think shocks by the way. I just know that feeling you're on about, the jiggly-ness and lack of confidence. It's always been down to shocks for me but I could well be wrong. I often am. :wink:

the real reason for replacing the bolts?
I can pretty much guarantee that I'll break a few! :nooo:

But..
hexagon flanged nut M14 X 1,5 @ £1.91 +VAT each?!
For a nut?
Think I might have a shop around.....
Current parts cost for the front is £870.41
which is for pretty much everything bar the spring.

Halcyon said:
the real reason for replacing the bolts?
I can pretty much guarantee that I'll break a few! :nooo:

But..
hexagon flanged nut M14 X 1,5 @ £1.91 +VAT each?!
For a nut?
Think I might have a shop around.....
Current parts cost for the front is £870.41
which is for pretty much everything bar the spring.

The only ones I destroyed doing mine were the eccentric adjuster bolts x 4 on the rear (I reused the nut and washer) and the front strut drop link serves as a bolt to hold the shock in.

Buy them from your local OPC and ask for a discount.

Try carnewal for shocks and springs. Bilstein B4 are the OE shock but Koni special active are well rated and Eibach springs are good.

Question about compressing the front springs?
As they are an odd pyramid shape, is there a particular type of compressor that has to be used? Any tips for doing them right / safely?
ta.

Help!
What's the difference between the part numbers;
and
That are both described as "Track control arm" the 303 number is used on autodoc and 306 is used on design911

there are two Meyle part numbers:
416 050 0024
416 050 0004
One is £98, the other is £62 from Autodoc..

Spareto lists the cheaper Meyle arm for both the 303 & the 306 numbers.. ebay lists both arms..

Any clues?
I want them for the front of my 2002 C4
Heeeeelppp!!!!
:frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back