Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Seat (finally!) arrives:

46868484904_d960b72552_b.jpg

And is instantly turned into a cat basket:

40627627373_b35e6b6d36_b.jpg

Finished work at 6, had a go at test fitting the seat.

It's very easy (surprisingly so) to whip the stock seats out, the only momentary puzzle was working out how the seat loom connector had to be released (same as the connector for the stereo - pull the side outward as you pull the top upward).

The stock seat is heavy - how heavy I don't know as I didn't weigh it, but my back is complaining slightly as I type this!

i'd fitted the seat very approximately to the side mounts/BBI base, so put that in. It was a bit far back, very snug, but felt pleasantly sporty.

I pulled it back out to adjust the position, but first snugged up all the bolts on the base.

However, the bolts that came with the Recaro side mounts are not long enough to screw into the seat whilst using the spacers that came with the BBI seat bracket, which meant that my side mounts were at the wrong width - so I gave up for the day and came in, after refitting the drivers seat.

I'll experiment with the position that I can get the seat with relation to the base in the sitting room, where it's warm, this evening.

I would have cracked on and gone for a drive - but the seat belt receiver bolt is too long, annoyingly, so I need to get some washers or a shorter bolt.

The base isn't threaded - you have to put a nut on the bolt, rather than screwing it into the base.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the BBI base, but maybe my opinion will change when I get the seat into its final position.

Just a humble tip .. put a towel over the door shut and as close to the catch as you can get it , another over the center console and a third over the door card ..

Trust me .. its very easy to catch the seat runners on these places lifting it in and out and it leaves a very nice scratch if you do.

Undo the rear seat bolts then the front ones to keep the runners under the seat and not sticking out .

To be honest .. at work and as i'm not on the large side .. i have to get one of the other mechanics to hump them in and out .. i can just about manage a normal seat but a full electric one is too heavy for me .. sigh .

Thanks for the advice - sadly I don't have a helper other than the cat!

I've just put the seat back on the base and three of the four bolts go in fine, the fourth one spins, annoyingly - it will bite, but only when wound so far in that it leave no room for the side mounts material.

So! That's a discussion to have with the place that I bought it from tomorrow.

Makes an absolutely incredible difference to how the car feels, and for the first time I actually feel like I'm in the correct place in the car.

Looking good!

Looks really low too. How's the visibility with the dails? And does it feel like your now sat in the car rather than on it (which is how I feel with the sport seats)

Nice!

How did you achieve the fit in the end? BBI, Recaro, oem, spacers???

BBI seat base and side mounts, I bought a bolt and spacer kit from Tillett (for something harrowing like £8), and a 964RS seat-belt receiver bracket.

48054103832_3e6bd2c5c1_b.jpg

The brackets bolt spacing isn't the same as the BBI base so I have temporarily modified it, but I'm getting some inserts machined and will TIG them into the BBI bracket next week (I wanted the seat in the car for Precision tomorrow).

The bottom of the seat is actually between the rails, and lower than the upper surface of said rails - very low, as you can see in the comparison to the stock hard-back sports seat.

48054067591_8dee01b5a8_b.jpg

This means that I can see all of the clocks, for the first time, which was one of my goals.

The other goal was to see what people were talking about when they said that buckets made a difference to the feel of the car - and all I can say is wow.

Being held in place as the car turns is a totally different experience to sliding sideways in the seat (even heavily bolstered sports seats). It's not clear to me yet which was the most transformational modification - the Ohlins or the seat.

Both together and you've got an incredible boost to the driving experience.

I took it out for a spin last night and it's the first time I've seen the TC light flashing as I accelerated out of corners, which may of course mean that I'll be finding out just how strong these seats are in an impact fairly shortly, but hopefully not.

I strongly recommend this as an upgrade, so far (!) the only downside is the lack of heating, but I'll get that rectified at the end of summer.

Great thread, nice looking car. at the beginning you have a cab roof rack, will the soft top go up and down with the rack in place.

probably a silly question.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back