Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear wiper?

991.2GTS

When I specc'd my 991.2, I went wiperless. But I did agonise over it. I read that the rear wiper was viewed by some purists as a key design element and had a long history with the 911. In the end, after reading how the window pretty much clears itself at speed, I went with wiperless, as aesthetically I think the lines are cleaner.

After spending some time with the car, the rear window does indeed clear itself when you pick up speed. However, the wiper would be very useful at lower speeds, and clearing the window after it's been parked/stationary etc.

So, when it comes to speccing a 992. Would you add the rear wiper?

Spec the reversing camera and then who cares what's behind you when you're going forward. I didn't spec the wiper as personally think they spoil the lines.

Mattrs said:
Spec the reversing camera and then who cares what's behind you when you're going forward. I didn't spec the wiper as personally think they spoil the lines.

Yup, this! No need for a wiper, if you need it clearing, bang the window heater on. :thumbs:

I only buy used, but no way I'd have one without the rear wiper for some purist notion. I use it as a DD all year round and the wiper is useful.

It's a proper marmite issue this one lol...

Far fewer people now ordering with rear wiper, but people still do, so there is remains for it.

I use as daily driver doing 15-20k miles a year, and can't say I've ever had the need for one. I love the minimalism engineering approach, if it's not needed, then no need. I love that on the 992 they've finally got rid of the headlight washers!!! Much cleaner line at the front and easier to keep clean.

No right or wrong answer, purely the joy of personal choice.

I used the one on my C2 yesterday. Much quicker for clearing the rear screen than the heater.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I used the one on my C2 yesterday. Much quicker for clearing the rear screen than the heater.

MC

Love that!

I use a cloth to wipe it before I get into the car, does that make it quicker than both the wiper and heater? ;) (yes, I am jesting!) :thumbs:

An application of RainX clears it at relatively low speeds. I'm wiper free

I've had it on both 911s. I use mine as daily with a fairly short low speed commute. I doubt I'd get enough speed to clear it.
Does it look better without it? Objectively yes.
Would rain x work as well? Yes it does.
Will I forget to reapply rain x and/or the cleaners will scrub it away. Yes!

If my 911 was for weekend and occasional use I would probably do without.
I use it everyday in the winter / rainy months.

I am in the process of having a rear wiper delete fitted to my C4, both for aesthetic and weight saving reasons.

MC

I'm still torn. I like the utility of it, but aesthetically it's not as pleasing. I'm considering a base Carrera as a DD (when they finally release it), so it looks like I've got some time to mull it over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back