Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ball joints or coffin arms?

James M-S

Barcelona
Had a little weep this avo as my cars previously unblemished MoT pass rate hit a glitch :x

FAIL:- excessive play in front ball-joint.

Car has been driving fine, no knocking noises, tracking true, not hunting cambers in the road etc

So, my question is, do I need entire new coffin arms or can I just replace the ball joints?

:roll:

I know that if coffin arms are changed, the eccentric bolts can be tricky and it can lead to replacing lots of other bits.

Also, would I need full geo after replacing just ball joints? (I know I would after doing coffin arms)

Car is on 65k miles.

I'm not trying to avoid changing what is required but haven't noticed anything wrong with the car at all.

Thanks in advance

Not sure you can replace the ball joint on it's own, it's normal to replace the complete coffin arm and probably good practice to replace both from arms. not too expensive, about £100 each for Meyle parts or double that at least for Porsche ones. You probably wouldn't need a full geo although it might be a good idea depending on how old the car is, alignment at a decent outfit should be enough!

Yes you will need to replace the whole arm, not a difficult job, Get them from Autodoc,they are OEM and a good price. Key thing is not to tighten the inner securing bolt until suspension is fully loaded.

ragpicker said:
Which ball joint? Surprised its the coffin arm as its usually the bush which disintegrates. I'd have thought the track rod end ball joint which is more amenable to test for an MOT chap

:?:

Thanks, I wondered/hoped the same myself. Unfortunately I just spoke to my Indy who is confident it is the coffin arm having looked at MoT notes.

Good news is he's gonna squeeze me in tomorrow

:thumb:

Fingers crossed nothing is seized....

"Good news is he's gonna squeeze me in tomorrow"

yeah, but is he going to fix your coffin arms......
:floor:

Coffin arm ball joint is part of the coffin arm .. so one unit .

Not uncommon on a 996 and the 997 are starting to get old... same item .

i tend to see the play in them when i use a bar on the arm , don't normally feel play on a wiggle test of the wheel .

For it to actually fail an mot .. its pretty dam bad or the mot station doesn't know the rules .

No geo is needed .. camber is adjusted at the top on the strut mounts , tracking is on the track rods .. coffin arm doesn't effect either of these .

One of my front coffin arms had serious play in the ball joint. Rest of the coffin arm was fine. Threw the geo out when changing it but I set it back to where it should be using my old school method :wink:

Do tell Alex, what's your old school method please?? :thumb:

:grin: Was only joking......

...........but - car (steering wheel) was straight as a die with the original one. Change one side and the steering wheel is then at an angle. Just adjust your track rod end on that side to bring it back again.

All sorted now, MoT retest booked for Friday.

Massive thanks to Mike at Zentrum in Calverton for squeezing me in at short notice.

One of the bolts was seized so ended up being cut off and drilled out. Very glad I didn't try and tackle it myself.

Track rod ends are fine, and there was a small amount of play in the coffin arm ball joint so my confidence is restored in my MoT guy.

Thanks all for your advice..
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back