Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear hub toe arm ball joint insert

IanG1

As those who have followed my woes will know I am changing out my rear hub due to a snapped caliper bolt. Mistercorn is kindly pressing me a new bearing but has told me the insert in the hub where the toe arm ball joint sits is missing. Now can I presume I am ok to remove the insert from my scrap arm and press it in or am I missing something?
MC is waiting on pressing in my new bearing till we know it's ok to do?
Any help appreciated
Ian

Pic for reference, the insert doesn't appear on the parts diagram as a separate part but is clearly just pressed into the hub to provide the taper for the ball joint.

Attachments

• 2019_04_10_08_29_39_214.jpg
    2019_04_10_08_29_39_214.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,147
I'd say you're fine to use your old one.

i've seen this a couple of times .. we fitted a new hub each time .

Alex is the engineer .. i'm just a mechanic so i would tend to go with his advise .. in theory when its all bolted up it would work .. but in my trade we cant take that gamble so we replace the unit .

Thanks for the replies, my feeling was it would be fine as once bolted up it can't really go anywhere. I am presuming the original insert had the ball joint taper siezed in and came out when the joint was split so that tells me they should press out. Understand what you say though demort as a professional repairer you can't risk any liability regardless how small the risk.

They press in and come out when stuck on the ball joint .. you can see the splines it would normally lock on in your image.

i would think to refit .. heat hub .. cool the insert .. put it in a fridge then maybe a G clamp try to rejoin the two ... or a press.

Obviously as you have said .. i cant condone this .. my worry is it will start to spin in the hub and wear it away ..

Do i think it will do that .. nope ..

Can i take a chance and recommend this .. nope :)

I'm afraid what i say here is not really any different than what i say and do at work ... my ass on the line basically ... but i try to suggest things.

Bring it along on Friday and we can press it back in.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Bring it along on Friday and we can press it back in.

MC

Will do pal.

I would.

I have some loctite 290 which I can put on it. That should help.

MC

Big thanks to Martin MC. Looks like pressing out of the insert is a little more involved with a bit of work needed on my scrap hub to get to the top of it. Donation made to demorts daughters trip funding page as requested by MC to my offer of payment.
Thanks to all. who chipped in on my recent posts
Ian

All finished today, MC got the insert out of my scrap hub. Bit of grinding needed to get top side for the press to be able to get on it but it worked. Left in the freezer over night and popped in this morning. Used a nut and bolt to pull in the final few mm then toe arm ball joint in and tighten everything up. New disks pads and handbrake shoes,. Handbrake cable tube and jobs a good un.
Just my other coffin arm to do as I bought a pair and sort my Geo again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back