Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 gear linkage on 996

Jneil964

Hi all, I have been researching short shift kits and alternatives for my 996 C4S and finally decided on replacing the gear linkage with the 997 part. The reason for changing the unit is that 2nd to 3rd was always notchy and the same from say 5th to 3th.

I replaced the unit today and thought I would give you guys an update. The gear shift is certainly better from 2nd to 3rd - much smoother but the issue with 5th to 3rd is the same and a double de clutch is best here. Although the 997 unit is probably more robust as there is a steel plate reinforcing the plastic parts I am not sure it's such a difference to warrant the expense . I only did 15 miles so maybe I will think differently on a longer run!! :eek:

First off .. i'm unsure of what items you have changed ... any part numbers or pictures ?

Gear selection problems .. they are normally caused by the synchro on each gear ..

Its a brass cone ring with a steel internal ring .. as one engages the other it slows the 2 gears to a similar speed .. the syncro gear can then slide over the 2 .. if they are not the same speed then you will get crunching of the gear change ... or Bulking.

When they wear it won't slow the 2 rings fast enough and you will get crunching .. it helps if you double the clutch or slow change the gear change .

video here helps explain it ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE

more info please :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back