Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yet another Top Gear Exhaust Thread.....

Pageeey

Right. It's all too hard. YouTube is awash with inconsistent videos with chuff loads of background noise.. :dont know:

I've narrowed down to;
- top gear switchable without 200cell cats
- top gear mild with 200cell cats

I think the loud exhaust even without 200cell cats is probably a bit too much for the funeral test.. with the 200cells is just a bit OTT.. I like the raspier nature of the mild with 200cell.

I think the preference was switchable but TG are out of stock. I read somewhere that the DesignTek valvetronic was a TG exhaust (the same thing) but I'm doubting that as the TG kit is £999 and the DT kit is about £650.. so that doesn't sound right.. any one in the know..?

Thoughts on the above....?

I have Top Gear manifolds, 200 cell cats and switchable boxes. When valves closed they aren't too bad, decent sound just too quiet for me, but when open though its just Hooligan.

When i had the standard manifolds, 200 cell cats and switchable boxes it was probably the best all round, nice and quite but nice sound when closed and quite throaty when open. Videos below.

Stand still Valves open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-b09CgmHI

Driving Valves closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSuWs_cS4mY

Driving Valves open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5BGPF37yg

These look identical to mine, i wouldn't be surprised if Top Gear made these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...rentrq:ef2a41521690a9e46def1293fff9511e|iid:1

Hope this helps :thumbs:

You could try the Spyder performance ones listed on Ebay , sound good and seem good quality ,

Thanks both.. yes I found the spyder one earlier.. definitely of interest.. trying to find anyone with one on and how it's been.. given that the TG ones are lifetime and the spyder is only 1yr warranty..

I'll be having the same issues in a while myself. As I've posted before, the seams on the mufflers of the PSE exhaust have split. May go down the route of having the mufflers welded initially, but be interested too to hear from anyone who's had the Spyder Performance exhaust, particularly the sound and also quality of the mufflers.

I have the 200 cell cats and mild sport boxes and whilst it sounds great when you're on it, it's very loud, both inside and out. I'm probably going to put my PSE boxes back on after I've had them welded up to improve the noise. If you're a weight obsessive like me, you will be impressed by the mild sport box's lack of mass when compared to the oe boxes.

Alex the MD of Topgear is a forum member and site sponsor , So DONT FORGET YOUR 10% DISCOUNT as a forum member . I would drop Alex a PM and ask about stock and see what he says about whether they do manufacture the exhausts for DesignTek under contract and if so are there any differences in spec . :thumb: :thumb:

Good point - I'll hunt him out. TG our of stock at the minute, I spent too long faffing. Cars in the garage on tues 🙈

cobrars said:
I have Top Gear manifolds, 200 cell cats and switchable boxes. When valves closed they aren't too bad, decent sound just too quiet for me, but when open though its just Hooligan.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

my 996.2 had Topgear mild boxes fitted by the previous owner. With the stock manifolds & cats, it sounds great, but it does drone a LOT on the motorway.

I've been debating replacing with TG manifolds, 200 cell cats & swapping the mild boxes out for switchable ones.

So @Cobrars I'd be interested to know if you or others with this combination still experience drone on the motorway when switched to quiet mode?

@OP - If you can hold out till they have stock, I'd suggest going for the switchable boxes & 200cell cats. (not sure why you listed the switchable option w/o 200 cell cats, but the mild with 200 cell cats)
If it's not a daily driver or you rarely use motorways, then the mild boxes & 200cell cats may be a good alternative for you.

Ha - I would like the 200cells but it's my daily and my mate has switchable plus 200 cell and valves open is insane - too much really for me.. so I assumed switchable on standard cats would be approx 30% quieter in both modes.. which felt somewhere near right..

Maybe I'm being a chicken... :D

Hi Sp1ke,

My car is fine when valves closed at motorway speeds. When i done the NC500 a couple years ago, coming back down the boring East side i just closed the valves and all you could hear is engine noise. I don't get any drone at all. If it was in anyway bad i'd have changed them out by now.

I'll have stick the gopro on sometime.

Craig

I went spyder in the end - worth a go at the cost delta and should be fine given my mileage and use. Hopefully collecting the car tomorrow so will try and get a video uploaded. Like other threads, they looks very smart out of the box.. so fingers crossed.

Good to deal with too, they just sorted me out with what I needed and it all turned up the next day.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back