Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre wear

NXI20 said:
Having tried many, many geo settings on my 996 over the years, (everything from 2 to 4.5 degrees at the front & up to 3 at the rear), I have concluded that the optimal setting for my car & my driving style is around 3.1 F & 2.6 R with 15 minutes of rear toe & zero front toe. That's with 80N/mm front springs & 140N/mm rears with Moton Clubsport dampers and fairly stiff ARBs. Being on solid monoballs means the settings barely change during the year unless something wears out.

Set up as above, it's perfectly controllable in the wet & it can wear slicks, wets or any number of different types of road-legal tyres fairly evenly. Despite what many people think, the biggest killer of the inside edge of rear tyres is actually poor rear toe (either due to the static setting or worn toe adjusters allowing it to move under load). Investing in locking plates & motorsport rear toe arms will save a fortune in tyres and also impart great confidence in the grip the rear end has as a result.

I have 150K miles / 226 trackdays in this car so I am speaking with a fair bit of experience behind me. The fundamental GT3 suspension platform is largely unchanged on the 996/997 models & the Kussmaul settings are always a good reference point to start from.

You still got spacers on the front?

Thanks Nick. Food for thought there.

The future may well be new dampers, as you say.

My next project is the diff. I've just ordered some new Cup ramps and plates from JZM, to be fitted as & when it's next in with Mike at Sports & Classic...

Cunno said:
You still got spacers on the front?

No spacers except on slicks. Then it needs 7mm at the rear.

NXI,

Your setup is very similar to mine, I run different dampers, JRZ, and spring rates but the rest is there or there abouts.

I find mine fairly neutral, granted I do not have the tracktime you do, there is hint of under steer but I feel I can dial this out by adding a little more rubber at front.

Attachments

• hxz_996_setup1_181.jpg
    hxz_996_setup1_181.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 6,245
crash7 said:
NXI,

Your setup is very similar to mine, I run different dampers, JRZ, and spring rates but the rest is there or there abouts.

I find mine fairly neutral, granted I do not have the tracktime you do, there is hint of under steer but I feel I can dial this out by adding a little more rubber at front.
Must have some wicked aero package to run upside down like that. :eek:

crash7 said:
NXI,

I run 245 section rubber which cures the understeer at the expense of some arch rubbing.

NXI20 said:
crash7 said:
NXI,

I run 245 section rubber which cures the understeer at the expense of some arch rubbing.

That is the very direction I am planning on going :thumb:

What profile and diameter do you run?

Mines a 996, so I run 18's, Cup 2's come in a 245x35 which I was considering to elevate some of the rubbing, as oppose to a 245x40 although in honesty the rubbing is not really a huge concern, worst case I will eventually need a new arch liner.

Apparently the Cup Arch liners have a slightly different shape which helps :?:

Digger, I run a huge Halfords Ripspeed Wing :grin:

crash7 said:
What profile and diameter do you run?

Mines a 996, so I run 18's, Cup 2's come in a 245x35 which I was considering to elevate some of the rubbing, as oppose to a 245x40 although in honesty the rubbing is not really a huge concern, worst case I will eventually need a new arch liner.

I use 245/40x18 on a 9" rim & 245/35x19 on an 8.5" rim

They have roughly the same amount of rubbing since it's really only with some lock on. Big compressions with a bit of lock such as Eau Rouge & the Foxhole is where you really notice it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back