Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Disgusting start stop

I`m guessing the opinion of one who identifies himself as Luddite is likely to be thought of as one sided...? (-:

I have witnessed the exponential growth of car ownership over more recent years and to think that air pollution would not be affected by that growth.... seems kinda much less than wise...? Governance of the situation may have seemed less than ideal, though they did try to get older and more polluting cars off the road via changes in MOT legislation, and later on the Govt scrapage scheme which seemed to suggest old petrol cars were best changed for modern diesels.... hmm..?

I live on a hillside overlooking a very large valley where in certain weather conditions the pollution created during rush hour to the local city can be seen as a grey green cloud hanging around, the time it takes to disperse depends upon weather conditions... Shock Horror...??? No not really as I grew up nearer the city and well remember smog caused by all the coal fires and heavy industry the city was once famed for, the river ever polluted by all sorts of industrial and other processes causing it to change colour from time to time.

Strange as it might seem, or not.. life expectancy was somewhat shorter in times past and circa 1977 the company doc where I worked had created stats that seemed to suggest the average lifespan relative to time picking up the company pension after retirement at age 65 across shift and non shift working employees/office/shop floor/men/women, averaged out circa 11 weeks..

Today things have probably improved somewhat, next to zero heavy industry, ship building has declined considerably and pollution by that which is left is monitored closely to the extent even an occasional determined Salmon has been found in the river at the city centre....

Guess it`s a bit like Brexit, you can come into the discussion from any angle and as aggressively as you wish to PROVE you are right...? ME..? I prefer to just observe.

I have worked in and around all sorts of processes with levels of "pollution" that few might choose to subject themselves to, and some of that while rebuilding my old and rusted cars, welding fumes, dust from rubbing down filler, spray painting and not forgetting exhaust fumes, and yet I am still around..... Started work at age 15 retired at 65..

Sorry I have digressed.... Auto stop/start.... strange as it might seem I also worked with leading edge technology and have been involved in situations where programming was proved to be flawed in a certain mix of physical circumstances where human interaction was involved... but at least the "errors" did not result in a hundred or more folk nose diving into the terrain in an uncontrolled fashion..!!!! Without any data as proof.... I suspect I would be horrified at the amount of accidents created or involving stop/start technology catching folk out.... but then the I should have every confidence that the programmers have thought of EVERYTHING to ensure there would be no such possibility.. Yes, No, Perhaps....?

I suspect Hamster 75 may not have been alone in having suffered some sort of technological failure that may have shaken him to the core at least he was not in an aircraft and could limp to the side of the road.... I have knowledge of one car park accident where the all the circumstances are not clearly defined but the outcome was...! The car parked on a hill, an automatic, the stop button pushed from a position outside the car but leaning in, the car then ran backwards running over the owner breaking both legs and the vehicle came to a stop against another car in the car park causing damage to both cars, it was most fortunate indeed that no one else found themselves in the path of the run-away car... I suspect the stop/start system was not entirely to blame, but one push of a button and the technological to human interface was I imagine operating outside the design criteria the programmers had EVER contemplated.....? So be careful in car parks folks especially with kids.

As for pollution.... I suspect I have created a great deal of it, as I also suspect YOU may have too..

Just thinking in type.. :?:

It won't be an issue when all porsches are hybrid :wack:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back