Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeal / screech after fitting spacers

Kbald

Hi all. I recently fitted some 20mm hub centric spacers all round and all of a sudden I have a loudish squeal from the neasrside, but it only seems to appear after a few miles. Sounds a bit like the wheel rubbing or a brake sticking. There is no tyre rub on the arches as the wheels are only 17 inch and the suspension is standard height. The noise doesn't disappear when breaking but does at standstill so it isn't the engine or belt.

Does anyone have any ideas at all what it could be? I used longer bolts on the spacers and greased the hubs before fitting. I assume it's to do with spacers otherwise would be to coincidental. Any help would be appreciated.

It's not the longer bolts rubbing on the hub carrier? i.e. they're too long and poke right through the hub up against the carrier?? :dont know:

Thanks Alex. I considered that but it only seems to be 1 wheel and when it heats up but it could still be that. How would I check that is there a visual I could do?

Check the end of each bolt if you can see where it's been rubbing. Should be easy if only on one wheel.

Suppose it may be a wheel bearing as there is extra load on the bearing once spacers are fitted (due to the extended offset).

Thanks will ship the wheel off and check the bolt heads. Need to free up the rear retaining pin so I can tighten the handbrake anyway so will have a session on axle stands investigating.

You can check the bolts one at a time without having to do anything else.

True will get some out tomorrow and have a look before doing the rest at the weekend, weather permitting! Will report back and hopefully it's something simple like that rather than a bearing etc

alex yates said:
Suppose it may be a wheel bearing as there is extra load on the bearing once spacers are fitted (due to the extended offset).

I would tend to agree, the wheel bearing may have been slightly worn already and the Carlos Fandango factor has put too much pressure on it now it's extended by 20mm.

Hi just to update I've had the wheel nuts off and they all look fine however the rear brake disc shield is loose so I suspect as per wasz suggestion that this could be the issue.

Now just need to get the caliper retaining pin or of the caliper to get it and the disc off to remove or repair the dust shield.

Any advice on being a stuck pin it other than wd40 and heavy hammer and drift? Bit too tight to get an angle grinder in there to cut the pin.

Caliper is held on with bolts so i don't think you mean that .. you mean the pad retaining pin ?

if so i would normally scrape the rust with a screwdriver then plenty of lub and beat the hell out of it .. correct size punch makes a lot of difference , the largest you can fit in the hole basically .

you don't actually have to remove this pin if removing a caliper though .. undo the bolts .. pull the caliper towards you then away .. this will push the pads into the caliper and you can remove it .. pads in situ .

If you DO mean caliper bolts then its a stripped thread that needs drilling and a time sert .

Thanks DM I did mean the pad retaining pin yes.

I did try with a large punch and effort but got scared and didn't want to damage the caliper. Perhaps remove the bolts and pull off the caliper will give me chance to get some grips on to try and twist it to break up the crud and rust of it to knock it out. :thumb:

I've had many that are pretty dam tight .. scrape off the rust you can .. soak it , its then its just a case of beating the hell out of it .. i've never broken a caliper before .. but i guess it can happen ... just not to me as someone up high loves me :D

you don't need to for this job though as mentioned above .

sooner or later you will have to though .. pads don't last forever .

:thumbs: will give it a go. Offside came out fine so a bit more bashing should see it free!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back