Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Get out of Gen 2 Carrea for Turbo?

Turbo all day but it am biased. Get yer cash ready. Test drive it. Buy it. Modify it. Don't look back .... simples.

FRP said:
Turbo all day but it am biased. Get yer cash ready. Test drive it. Buy it. Modify it. Don't look back .... simples.

I do like the ability to modify the turbo, it is pretty much endless depending on how deep your pockets and how long your arms are. Unfortunately for somebody with an addictive personality and little self control like me it isn't always a good thing. Bloody good fun though. I have had mine for over 8 years, the longest I have ever owned a car. No plans to ever sell it.

MC

Geezer 911 said:
Thanks very much for the immediate responses. There is already a balanced argument to keep or buy. Looks like I need to do a test drive.. my Carrera in sports plus mode is super fast already I am genuinely curious to see the responsiveness in acceleration that the turbo has.

Get yourself a test drive and then decide.
I'm sure you will be blown away by the Performance.
Can't understand anyone saying that the std Carrera's are quick, Maybee I've spent too many years riding Superbikes.
However a new Golf R, Focus RS etc are as quick or quicker than a Carrera.

Also when these cars were new, the price difference between a Carrera/2S etc and a turbo was huge. Probably close to £40k
Also the turbo will always retain its value.

Best of luck 👍

It is the not quickness which is the appeal of the Carrera. The idea of changing gear and driving through the gears, holding the speed through the corners to get the best out of it. There is no right answer on which one to own. Neither one ticks all boxes.

MC

If you're the kind of bloke who is even thinking about a Turbo, then you should be in a Turbo. A 997.1 makes a lot of sense in terms of cost to switch.

You might need to upgrade the brakes though, according to the chaps on another thread.

I've a Gen1 turbo, and owned a Gen2 C4S with PSE prior for a short time. One problem is the exhaust sound after the PSE car I had, so budget 2k for a Kline or similar, I bought this a month after purchase. Whilst you are there opt for new studs and bolts. I also just had fitted spacers and some Techart springs to sharpen the look, and tighten the handling. Next is some Motul Bf and braided hoses. If you like modding, it can be an expensive hobby. But the noise on boost is all so worth it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back