Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Broken rear caliper bolt

Well had to bite the bullet and for the sake of sanity I've bought the second hand hub quoted above. It's just not shifting which ever way I try and despite my best efforts my drilling is slightly off centre when viewed from the inner side so will struggle to drill out without damaging the aluminium. For £54 (I got £6 discount at checkout for some reason) delivered it's a no brainer, all the mounting bolts have cracked loose, just got to back off the hub nut and split the ball joints.

It is a pain to have to do that, but given the time and cost it could involve I don't blame you. Fronts are even cheaper than rears for the C2 as there are so many boxster parts around.

MC

Booooo, so close to getting the end result too :grin:

On to the next quandry then, some people say you should replace the caliper bolts every time you remove them due to stretching/stress, the new ones come, apparently, with a coating of retaining compound on them to a: stop them from coming loose and b: stop them siezing in the threads :thumb:

Given that Porsche fixings of all kinds seem to be made from Mickey Mouse Metal, I tend to give them a blob of loctite "bearing retainer" when I put them back in, this is a very low strength loctite and will hopefully help stop the thread corrosion and keep moisture out in future :lol:

My rear caliper bolts have been in and out more times than a groom's holiday tackle on the wedding night. I've never got that 'stretch bolt' thing. Totally pointless.

alex yates said:
My rear caliper bolts have been in and out more times than a groom's holiday tackle on the wedding night. I've never got that 'stretch bolt' thing. Totally pointless.

To be fair, it does happen, I obviously have to deal with it in my job quite often on bolts that have been highly stressed for 15-20 years and they simply let go :sad:

I think using the old bolts on a cars calipers a couple of times is fine, but I make sure I use a retaining fluid to try and minimise corrosion to make future work less of a pain in the butt :grin:

In fact I`m shocked at how bad the fixing bolts on modern Porsche cars are, I`ve never seen anything like it in 30 years of tinkering with cars :nooo:

Many years ago and we just used to reuse them .. this went on for years until someone actually read the porsche instructions which said replace them .. after that we replaced them every time .

I grease the threads with ally grease and mainly at the lower part .. as the holes are open at the base then thats where water gets in and rusts causing them to strip the thread as they come out .

I've never yet seen loose caliper bolts but using thread lock is fine .. for me i would worry that they might not come out next time but if it works then it works :D

Porsche fixings .. well from my experience .. the newer the car the less time they last .. sigh .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back