Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who HAS NOT had borescoring or IMS failure

997.1 60,000 miles no problems then 997.2 15,000 miles so far so good!
Bovered not!

a1butch said:
Hertsdriver said:
Robert SausageTrousers said:
there's plenty of cars out there that are faster, more reliable and cheaper to run.

Can you name these mythical cars that can seat 4, do the traffic light 60mph dash under 5 seconds and top 170mph cheaper and more reliably than a used £20k 997? because I cant think of a single one.....

Cat D TVR Cerbera :bandit:

2 off the top of my head.

R32 / R33 Skyline GTR or Twin Turbo Supra :?:

I had my 2006 997.1 tip for 4.5 years no issues apart from replacing the coolant pipes and tandem pump no other issues at all I covered 50k miles in that time sold it had it scoped when sold and clean as a whistle. my 997.2 has had a Harlech rebuild but as others said that was down to the 200cell cats breaking up and getting injected on overrun and not an issue with the car itself.

these seem to be the accepted numbers 5% suffer Borescore and 8% suffer IMS failure now whether that % will go up or down as these cars age and mileage increases is anyones guess. what does seem to be widely agreed is that if you want a 997.1 with the lowest risk of issues then a post march 06 (newer ims bearing although some 05 cars have the newer bearing) 3.6 manual as the 3.6 engine is inherently stronger than the 3.8 and manual as the tips use 2nd gear to pull away in and it seems that adds strain to the engine. theres also the correct or not theory that a 3.6 buyer is less likely to thrash the car or be a more sympathetic owner than a 3.8 owner, my thoughts are this may have been the case when the cars were newer but now they are in the hands of enthusiasts the 3.8 owner is just as likely to be a sympathetic owner than a 3.6 owner.

You must remember that these cars are now 15 years old and many are getting close to 100k miles and you must expect a few issues with a high performance car of that age/mileage .
What many are doing is buying a leggy early car for under £20k and getting it rebuilt straight away or driving it knowing they may need to get a rebuild at some point and having the funds to do it should they need to . Seems like a fair idea to know you have a solid rebuild 997.1 for £30k ish. :thumb:

I also think there will be a lot of 997.1 that get to a point in age or miles that will need a rebuild like any car of that age miles and will have never had either of these issues .

The key is buy eyes open and know exactly what your buying into as many high end cars getting a bit older come with some known potential risks and if you cannot stomach that then you must avoid all of those marques.
KIA are doing some good deals at the moment with long warranties
:grin: :grin:

Encouraging to read that the public perception about the prospects are much more reasonable than they used to be and a general acceptance that one day more will need fixing.

That is why we have developed the oversized engine versions because if you wait until with high mileage they score and fail you may also need a new crank whereas a pre-emptive rebuild might not be justifiable if all you get back is a more reliable version with the same performance but might encourage some owners if they get more performance.

Interesting comparisons between 3.6 and 3.8 owners. When newer 3.6 owners were less likely to go for performance (satisfied with the 3.6) but now a 3.6 rebuilt as a 3.9 offers 3.8 performance and is nicer to drive in the mid-range, while the 3.9 Cayman S is really fast and exciting.

Baz

Hertsdriver said:
Hertsdriver said:
there's plenty of cars out there that are faster, more reliable and cheaper to run.

Can you name these mythical cars that can seat 4, do the traffic light 60mph dash under 5 seconds and top 170mph cheaper and more reliably than a used £20k 997? because I cant think of a single one.....

There are plenty of Audis,BMW's,Mercs etc etc that would fit the bill.
M cars, RS Audis and AMG Mercs are unlikley to be cheaper to run in my experience...

Jaguar XKR. Mine was very reliable, needed nothing in 60k miles other than routine maintenance.

Mixed experience for my wife's cars.
First 2004 997s needed new engine at a year old and just 7500 miles due to bore score :(
Next one (2008 997.1 C4S) still going strong at 60k :)

5 years of driving a 997.1 C4S like I stole it and no borescoring issues to date.

Precautions with temp sensors and oil selection all taken and treated with mechanical sympathy (at least until the oil's warmed up...)

Even if it blows up it and I get a full rebuild it will still work out cheaper than the equivalent Gen2. And personally I would prefer to have a car with a newly built Hartech 3.9 Gen1 engine over one with a ten year old DFI engine.

997.1 C2S MY 05 with larger IMS - 94k on clock and no issues in either department.

I have had 2 x 997.1 over 7 years with no issues, well other than aquaplaning the first one into some armco on the A13, engine was still sweet afterwards but the front end looked a bit rough :coat:

I purchased a 997.1 with bore scoring. It happened at 81,000 miles. I like the design of the 997 so it's the only way I could mitigate the possible risk by paying full wack. At the moment I'm probably in a break even position with a Hartech rebuild. My next one would probably be a 991 although it maybe too big? Still undecided.

One thing this post has shown is different tastes.

The 996 interior was quite well known for being blessed with cheap tacky plastics. It was actually this cheap interior which put me off. I think the 997 is much better and comes across more high end and less mainstream.

I suppose the 996 interior now would be considered 'Retro' by some.

This is only my personal view and each to there own. Both great cars.

I have had my 997.1 c4s (tip) for 5 years.
Only issue I have had are the air con packing up due to a pipe splitting and thats about it.
Always drive in it on the rockers.
Not a hint of bore score and I never give it a second though

No way am I tempting fate by commenting here about my amazing 996 & incredible 997 experience.

Dammit!

Tempting fate, but...

'05 3.8, 96k miles, no issues over last 10 years of ownership

(LTT, 3rd rad, usual TLC)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back