Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who HAS NOT had borescoring or IMS failure

Unfortunately I have suffered from bore scoring.

Interestingly I attended the launch event for the new 992 at my local OPC this week, and the UK MD of Porsche performed a presentation. He acknowledged and apologised for some historic well know issues with the 911 range, and assured the audience that these have been resolved in the more modern versions.

I was surprised at that admission. He obviously didn't call out any specific issues, but it was interesting nonetheless.

Rob325114 said:

Interestingly I attended the launch event for the new 992 at my local OPC this week, and the UK MD of Porsche performed a presentation. He acknowledged and apologised for some historic well know issues with the 911 range, and assured the audience that these have been resolved in the more modern versions.

I was surprised at that admission. He obviously didn't call out any specific issues, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I can only assume that he was referring to the 996, the headlight design has been mentioned by many people but quietly 'fixed' by Porsche and rarely discussed.

MC

No issues with my 9972... :dont know:

No Issues here. Had it almost 4 years, was recently Boroscoped and came back clean, and its a 2007, so IMS not an issue....

Do not believe the hype, or the doommongers.

Saying they "will all go bang at some point" is true for any engine in anything........... Just a ridiculous statement which some people feel the need to make, no idea why, way way less cars have problems than you would believe if you just read the likes of pistonheads......

Wonderful cars, such value for money. I paid £30k for mine with 43k miles 4 years ago, its now done 81k miles and is still worth £25k. The Wifes B<W M240i cabrio though, we bought new as a pre reg. List was £47600, paid £31000 with about 80 miles on it. Now that is depreciation!!!! Oh and it's had more things fixed than my 997 in its 3 years of life!

Just buy one, enjoy it, and stop worrying about something which will affect 1 in 20 cars or so.

MisterCorn said:
Rob325114 said:

I can only assume that he was referring to the 996, the headlight design has been mentioned by many people but quietly 'fixed' by Porsche and rarely discussed.

MC

:grin:

I've had two 997.1's over the years and suffered none of two thread title issues during my ownership. Anyone's guess if that remains the case with those two cars, I parted company with the 997.1 in 2012.

x2 997's owned, C2 and C2S most recently both high(er) mileage cars @ 70k and 85k and no bore scoring or other major issues.

Its a shame about bore scoring as I personally think the probability of it happening in your ownership is extremely low if a: you had the car properly inspected prior to purchase and b: treat it with respect from cold.
These may not be the only preventative measures but in my opinion they hold true across all cars to avoid serious engine or mechanical issues.

My early days in Corrado G60's (supercharged) got me used to always warming the car before giving it beans, have done it ever since no matter what car I'm in. On that subject, i've read on here that people wait for the car to get to 80deg before opening it up a bit, I assume that's oil temp and not water temp?

As for the bore scoring issue, obviously it exists and just how common it is will never be known, my car suffered it a couple of thousand miles before I bought it so was subject to a £10k rebuild, however even so most on here would have me believe that it's not 'if' but 'when' it'll happen again as the rebuild was done at JAZ Porsche and not Hartech, so even with a freshly rebuilt engine I'm supposed to drive around on pins!

I've covered 10k in it since August and *touch wood* it's been absolutely fantastic, I enjoy every mile even with the knowledge that something *could* go wrong that'll cost me a pretty penny to sort out at any point ~ if I wasn't prepared for that then I wouldn't have bought a 15 yr old 911, it's part of the territory, if it'll spoil your enjoyment of the car then don't buy one, there's plenty of cars out there that are faster, more reliable and cheaper to run.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
there's plenty of cars out there that are faster, more reliable and cheaper to run.

Can you name these mythical cars that can seat 4, do the traffic light 60mph dash under 5 seconds and top 170mph cheaper and more reliably than a used £20k 997? because I cant think of a single one.....

Hertsdriver said:
there's plenty of cars out there that are faster, more reliable and cheaper to run.

Can you name these mythical cars that can seat 4, do the traffic light 60mph dash under 5 seconds and top 170mph cheaper and more reliably than a used £20k 997? because I cant think of a single one.....

Yep, a used 996 :grin:

2007 4S manual, 71k miles, IMS still ok and original (as far as I'm aware) and no sign of bore scoring, uses less than a litre of oil over 5k miles. Boroscoped last year and ok?

Get one with good history and inspection and enjoy...

I'm taking mine to Spa in October for a track day - can't wait.

Hertsdriver said:

Cat D TVR Cerbera :bandit:

MattCPR said:
Official figures for people who have had catastrophic failures is around 5-10%, but if you look on the weird wonderful world of the internet you would believe that it's actually about 5-10% of people who haven't.

Can you share a link to the source for those official figures please? I didn't think Porsche would ever publish them!

Hertsdriver said:

There are plenty of Audis,BMW's,Mercs etc etc that would fit the bill.

Hertsdriver said:

There are plenty of Audis,BMW's,Mercs etc etc that would fit the bill.
M cars, RS Audis and AMG Mercs are unlikley to be cheaper to run in my experience...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back