Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who HAS NOT had borescoring or IMS failure

MattCPR

Official figures for people who have had catastrophic failures is around 5-10%, but if you look on the weird wonderful world of the internet you would believe that it's actually about 5-10% of people who haven't.

So who has enjoyed owning a 997 for a good few years and, well, just enjoyed owning and maintaining it?

:weed: :grin:

You can`t believe everything that you see on the internet :judge:

Although my last 2 and only 2 Mercedes 3.0L V6 TurboDiesels have BOTH suffered from the widely discussed "Air Intake Manifold Flap Servo failure", so I take that as a 100% failure rate @ £1500 a pop to fix :thumb:

Edited to add : That is a £1 "O" ring failure causing £1500 min of damage.

I haven't had either bore scoring or IMS failure on a 997.

That's only because I haven't owned a 997 mind you. :wink:
I would only own a gen2 model. If I couldn't stretch to that it would be a 3.4 996.1 instead. Which is exactly what I did.

Of course they don't all go bang or Borescore (IMS failure is actually rather rare) but there's enough evidence from the experts that most will, it's just a case of at what mileage?.

Lovely cars but not worth the risk in my view. But that's only my view. Plenty of happy owners out there.

Phil's 7.1 was perfect. It's his 7.2 that caused him grief, so you just never know.

Marky911 said:
I haven't had either bore scoring or IMS failure on a 997.

That's only because I haven't owned a 997 mind you. :wink:
I would only own a gen2 model. If I couldn't stretch to that it would be a 3.4 996.1 instead. Which is exactly what I did.

Of course they don't all go bang or Borescore (IMS failure is actually rather rare) but there's enough evidence from the experts that most will, it's just a case of at what mileage?.

Lovely cars but not worth the risk in my view. But that's only my view. Plenty of happy owners out there.

Phil's 7.1 was perfect. It's his 7.2 that caused him grief, so you just never know.

The 3.4 996 is a fine thing and definitely a wise choice if you don't want the increased risk of borescore it's meatier brethren would seem to be prone to.

I believe it was the aftermarket exhaust which mullered Phil's gen2 and not any form of inherent engine failure. Only half a dozen cases of catastrophic engine issues in the second generation cars I think.

Mine 'sploded after it dropped a valve seat (987.1 Cayman S 3.4), so same result via a different method... :dont know:

...pointless post...

Some will fail some won't...the fundamental and inarguable truth is that you won't know if or when ?

And failure is very, very expensive.

GMG said:
...pointless post...

Some will fail some won't...the fundamental and inarguable truth is that you won't know if or when ?

I wouldn't say it a pointless post at all. Simply a question of who has enjoyed a trouble free life with a 997.

It wasn't a question of 'I don't know if I should buy one so please tell me it won't break" because nobody can answer that, but people CAN answer if they have owned one and enjoyed it without failure.

More of a pointless reply than a pointless post maybe.....

MattCPR said:
GMG said:
...pointless post...

I wouldn't say it a pointless post at all. Simply a question of who has enjoyed a trouble free life with a 997.

It wasn't a question of 'I don't know if I should buy one so please tell me it won't break" because nobody can answer that, but people CAN answer if they have owned one and enjoyed it without failure.

More of a pointless reply than a pointless post maybe.....

It was a pointless post, not a pointless thread/topic. But then if we got rid of all of the slightly off-topic / pointless replies to everything it would be a very dull and quiet place. Better to keep the mods busy so that they can split things off and tidy up where needed. Post away IMO.

I have never had a 997 failure either, but then I have never owned a 997. Partly influenced by the perceived high failure rate, but mainly because I just don't like the interior.

MC

I've had a 997 for over 4 years and haven't had any IMS bearing issues. :whistle:

Pointless posts are MY speciality... (-: I suspect those who are enjoying their cars may perhaps be less likely to be seeking out the opportunity to share that experience than those who have suffered expensive failures and looking for advice on how to recover from the trauma.

I wonder where one might find "official" figures for such engine issues... I know.. the truth can be found on the interweb.. :floor:

MisterCorn said:
MattCPR said:
[quote="GMG"but mainly because I just don't like the interior.MC

Not just me then, I love the understated 996 interior, too much bling on later models.

No bearing or ims issues here, had the car since June 2015 done almost 20,000 miles

...having pulled my 996 out of its car hole today as the sun is shining thus titivating the interior which , to these eyes, is a master class in understated, clean and coherent design...door cards especially.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back