Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Poor spark on cylinder 1 ?

Gazc2

Magny-Cours
so as part of the restoration of my 1986 924s I had the engine out for a reseal etc and the engine is now back in the car however while trying to set the idle/co2 we have found a misfire/poor spark on cylinder 1.

pull the plug lead on cylinder 1 no effect, other 3 leads noticeable engine change,tested the spark at end of lead less than 2,3,and 4

replaced as part of refurb

Plugs and leads
dizzy cap
fuel filter

we changed the plug to another cylinder and it was ok, resistance check on plug lead and coil also ok
12v on each of the coil terminals with ignition on
continuity check on the green wire from the coil to 9 pin plug ok
resistance check on plug lead bang on

so any suggestions for what else to check much appreciated, may be a red herring however the rev counter has also stopped working I cleaned and checked all electrical plug connections.

I have read a fair few threads on the speed/reference sensors which appear to also be the driver for the rev counter (and green wire from coil ?) so still have to check the gap at these sensors

would the car start if the gap was out ?

the engine ran fine when we took it out the rev counter also worked so pretty sure its electrical/loom/sensor

all vacuum pipes have been checked

any wisdom appreciated on any particular checks required

Compression test has been done :thumb:

Seems you think spark is the issue but have done all the tests to prove it seems unlikely to be the case... ?

I suspect you may have tried checking the quality of spark by laying the offending plug and lead on the engine while cranking it over..?

Also checked for the presence of fuel.. on the plug once removed after a an engine run... is it wet..?

we did check the plugs as you describe, now had a bit of result but not sure what I fixed :dont know: so re-checked the multi pin connectors and the wires at the sensors and also removed and cleaned the injector plug put it all back together and happy days running on 4 cylinders nicely so will see over the next few days if this is resolved or temp fix, cheers for your suggestions :thumb:

rev counter still not working, I did read a thread on pelican who had similar issues and the rev counter came to life once he took it for a run here`s hoping

Good news indeed.... sometimes just unplugging and plugging back up can be enough to improve the male to female electrical connections :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back