Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wrapping options/colours/thoughts

Chris993C2 said:
infrasilver said:
Chris993C2 said:
Might be worth getting a tin of 3M Primer 94... :thumb:
I was told it was the same as Acrylic Lacquer so have used that on most exposed edges but only once the vinyl was stuck down, I sealed the edges with it.
Admittedly I've only ever used Primer 94 as an adhesion promoter with VHB tapes (ie: 3M 4611F), but it makes a huge difference to how well things stick.
Plus it smells divine... :cloud9:

Some updates on the wrap.

It has held up fairly well over the Winter but some edges had lifted at the rear wheel arches and a couple of other panels. I had already done the drivers front wing and the third brake light panel due to lifting and a crack on the wing back in mid January as you can see below.

X9rtRVA.jpg

ZmEX8Z6.jpg

L8bbubX.jpg

zfn6o3L.jpg

m6y4Roh.jpg

Today I wanted to correct some lifting I had around the filler flap and door edges of the front wing. With the weather being warmer the material is so much easier to work with and hardly needs any heat compared to when it was minus 3 degrees in November and January when I was doing it.

I took onboard about the 3M primer mentioned by Chris993C2 above and had bought a tin a few weeks ago in preparation.

I pulled all the edges of the filler opening after removing the flap and the edge of the wing to where it was lifting. I cleaned them with IPA and edge coated with 3M Primer.

ntHsAja.jpg

8QR5rtN.jpg

I had previously been using the acrylic lacquer but this didn't fair as well as I'd hoped, I think just in the first few instances the 3M primer seems to work better so I hope to use it on more lifting panel edges as I go around the car getting it ready for Summer.

Front wing edges repaired.
KLJyyQI.jpg

I still need to completely do the rear pop up spoiler, I have loads of bubbles on this, I think it may be due to the heat from the engine and the drivers side skirt due to stone chips and water ingress, I may double the wrap up on both ends for more protection. Unsure what to do about the rear arches yet but they may require fully wrapping again, in which case I will probably have to buy more material.

Great work. The colour reminds me of Jaguar French blue. I've tried wrapping a few bits but I just don't have the patience for it. It always looks so easy when you see the pros do it.

Can I ask what those wheels are and what sizes?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back