Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retrofit AUX/USB/iPod connections to a 997.2?

jaymzz

Hi All,

My 2008 997.2 has PCM 3.0 however there are no ports present in the center console (just a cheap looking coin holder and 12V outlet). In preparation for road trip season I'd like to get some kind of connectivity set up to play music from my phone/iPod. Is it possible to retrofit the AUX/USB/iPod connections and cable them into my existing head unit?

Thanks,
James

I had an OPC quote me £1.080 to retro fit the Aux/iPod/USB armrest option in a 997.2. The part number is 997.044.902.34.

I actually have a 997.1 TT so I ended up needing a different part, which incidentally is part 997.044.901.70 and costs £553 fitted. Being a 997.1 part it had less functionality.

These prices were quoted by an OPC last week and included a PCGB 10% discount.

Hope this helps.

I've got the USB/IPod connector fitted in the centre consul but can't get it to work with the PCM3. Do you need a separate connector (trying to use Spotify on iPhone 6). Or is the problem the software version I'm still on 1.41!!!!!!

997 gen 2 AUX - USB - IPOD

I happen to have one on the shelf in the garage bought a couple of years ago (used not new), thought it would be suitable for the Gen 1.
Includes the rubber mat.

Its not the whole kit - there must be a special cable to run between this unit and the PCM3 unit.

If its of any use £55 inc. posted to UK

Attachments

• p1100277_507.jpg
    p1100277_507.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 5,530
  • p1100278_468.jpg
    p1100278_468.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 5,530
The cable you need to connect the Console Insert that Vlad has to the PCM is Part No: 997.044.902.43

The complete kit is called the Universal Audio Interface and is Part No: 997.044.902.34

I found it was actually quite a bit cheaper to buy all the parts separately rather than in kit form, although that was quite few years ago now.

As this is an official Porsche retrofit kit, there is a TSB that gives detailed instructions on how to fit, I have copy I can email to you if you PM me with your email address.

One further thing that will be needed is a hook up with PIWIS to enable the USB connection.

monster said:
The cable you need to connect the Console Insert that Vlad has to the PCM is Part No: 997.044.902.43

The complete kit is called the Universal Audio Interface and is Part No: 997.044.902.34

I found it was actually quite a bit cheaper to buy all the parts separately rather than in kit form, although that was quite few years ago now.

As this is an official Porsche retrofit kit, there is a TSB that gives detailed instructions on how to fit, I have copy I can email to you if you PM me with your email address.

One further thing that will be needed is a hook up with PIWIS to enable the USB connection.

Do you still have the TSB for this?

[/quote] Do you still have the TSB for this? [/quote]

Yes, PM me with your email address and I'll ping it over to you!

Heads up for anyone wanting to do this - beyond putting the parts into the car, you need to have the PCM coded to accept the aux input, and this last part is the most painful:

If you buy the full kit (997 044 902 34), the distributor / seller should take your car's VIN and pass it to Porsche who put it in a table/database somewhere and the relevant codes / options will show up in PIWIS for whomever codes the PCM.

If you buy the parts individually, you might need to email Porsche directly and ask for them to add the car to the table to be able to enable everything. I went this route having started off on the journey of collecting individual bits. The wiring harness in particular was expensive, so it was cheaper than buying the kit but not by a lot and not worth the additional hassle.

Individual parts:
1. 997 642 465 01C (the audio connectors in the centre console)
2. 997 553 613 00 (rubber mat for the centre console)
3. 999 073 429 01 (3x required screws for the connector piece in the centre console)
4. 997 044 902 43 (the wiring harness between the connectors and the PCM3)

The retrofitting job has a time associated / billable of 1.7 hours at an OPC, which at a quoted £256ph labour is where the quotes get expensive! It isnt particularly hard to fit yourself, the TSB will suggest you go over/around the gear shift cradle and airbag ECU which would be easy.

I think from the factory the harness would have gone under both which is what I did - under the gearshift was easy enough as 4 nuts released it. Under the airbag ECU was a PITA, I wasnt prepared to remove it for the risk of setting an airbag off and a bunch of the nuts are used for grounding. The harness will pass with everything in place with the connectors taped together and using a thin draw string, I found it a lot easier to route from the dash down and towards the rear of the car.

I've also been considering this on my 2008 997.2. I have the insert with the aux plugs etc and the mat but not the screws or the cable yet. I was under the impression the only additional cable I need is 99761204975 (Porsche multimedia connecting cable).

My OPC told me I had to get that code from the seller but given I got the bits 2nd hand that was not possible. So you can write to Porsche for the code? How do you go about this?

System said:
I've also been considering this on my 2008 997.2. I have the insert with the aux plugs etc and the mat but not the screws or the cable yet. I was under the impression the only additional cable I need is 99761204975 (Porsche multimedia connecting cable).

My OPC told me I had to get that code from the seller but given I got the bits 2nd hand that was not possible. So you can write to Porsche for the code? How do you go about this?

The harness mentioned above contains both the USB cable (99761204975) and the wires for the audio connections.

Porsche GB werent willing/able to provide the ipas codes and said I needed to speak with an OPC. The wire harness is expensive and close to the same price as the full kit from tequipment that would be a lot less hassle...

I also found https://www.code-porsche.com/ but didnt get any contact.

I ordered the full kit (997 044 902 34) that arrived yesterday but when I ask ed the dealer to give Porsche my VIN they say that it is not necessary and that they have not needed to do that before?

Confused

Why the kit can't come wirth a code in the box is beyond me.

Ordered from the OPC or somewhere else?

Ah, so 99761204975 is only for the usb?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back