Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Seats for Gt3 Clubsport

-ollie- said:
FYI guys, the existing CS seats are not for sale.

Wise move :thumb:

Do you have a LWFW? As standard they have a dual.

That's one of the mods I wanted to have done (LWFW), but Fearnsport never got back to me last year ... or was it the year before. Would be interested to know if it was that mod that caused the power steering issue or not :?:

Roro said:
That's one of the mods I wanted to have done (LWFW), but Fearnsport never got back to me last year ... or was it the year before. Would be interested to know if it was that mod that caused the power steering issue or not :?:

I personally can't see how it could be Roro, but would be happy to hear from anyone who is technically minded on engine harmonics etc.

The Yanks seem (to me at least) come up with a variety of interesting theories & fixes for issues which our lot on this side of the pond don't subscribe to.

Fearnsport tell me they have fitted many of these flywheel setups with no issues, and the cause of the crank pulley nut coming undone is simply that it wasn't tight enough in the first instance.

-ollie- said:
Slippydiff said:
Senoj said:
That's a new one on me. :?:

Not uncommon, likely causes seem to be overevving or some kind of weird sh*t resonant frequencies due to lightweight flywheel fitment....
Pretty sure I remember reading some guys on Rennlist had had issues.

Hi Slippy,

Definitely no over rev scenario, Fearnsport has verified by reading the ECU. I was also adamant I hadn't prior to them checking (obviously didn't believe me! :lol: )

The Yanks do seem to think the cause is to do with the LTWFW fitment, but I can't see how this is possible. If a LTWFW was causing such resonance through the crank as to make the crank pulley nut come undone, it would run the bearings within seconds, let alone allow the engine to run long enough to make a bolt come undone on the opposite side.

I don't buy that theory, and think it's something else.

If anyone has a view on the resonance theory from over the pond, I'd be interested to hear it. It doesn't make sense to me!

I'm with Matty and his views on a lot of stuff the Yanks produce for our cars. But rest assured harmonic frequencies can make stuff come loose whilst having no adverse effects whatsoever on the how the crank bearings function.

Plenty of information about the issue here :

http://performancedevelopments.com/porsche6cylharmonicenginefailure/

Take a look at the images of a failed crank and you'll see the journals are all intact and undamaged.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of 996/997 GT3's and 2's running with LWT flywheels without issue, and Matty will know the vast majority run without ANY issues whatsoever, but occasionally there are clearly rogue cranks (or harmonic dampers) or usage that cause a catastrophic failure.

Or the wrong bolt/pulley being used ... :

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and...u-must-replace-crank-pulley-to-track-diy.html

I've seen truck engines with sheared/snapped crankshafts (because the harmonic damper had failed) and the bearings/journals were all perfect, the only problem was the crankshaft was in two pieces ... !!!

Roro / Ollie

All I can tell you is I've run a LWFW for 6 year 50k miles and not had an issue the pulley was changed at the time of install. No idea why but that is what was recommended by the Indy doing the work and so fare hasn't caused an issue

Cunno said:
Roro / Ollie

All I can tell you is I've run a LWFW for 6 year 50k miles and not had an issue the pulley was changed at the time of install. No idea why but that is what was recommended by the Indy doing the work and so fare hasn't caused an issue

Having seen your car (& how much it's been driven!) at FS I was hoping you'd chime in dude. What pulley is on the car now then?

Apparently the Gt3 one is steel, and the RS one is alloy - do you know which one you have?

Believe it's the RS version as per Slippys link to rennlist in the above thread.
RS pulley is liter.

Cunno said:
Believe it's the RS version as per Slippys link to rennlist in the above thread.
RS pulley is liter.

If you're near your car would you mind popping your head underneath and taking a look? The RS one is ally and has many holes, the GT3 one is steel and only has 2 large holes.

Matt @ FS is fitting the RS pulley to mine today.

Fingers crossed it stays attached for Anglesey in a couple of weeks!

-ollie- said:
Cunno said:
RS pulley is liter.

If you're near your car would you mind popping your head underneath and taking a look? The RS one is ally and has many holes, the GT3 one is steel and only has 2 large holes.

You have that he wrong way round the RS pulley only has 2 small holes and made from alloy which is what I have. Standard is steel and many holes.

EVOMS version, 'Improves throttle response" ....yeah, sure it does :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a1jgh
Back