Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The American approach to IMSB

UncleP

So I've been sniffing about Rennlist in between short bursts of actually working today and I've been amazed at the number of 'muricans that love to haul their IMSB out and replace it with either a pelican parts or LN one.

Why? Why is the approach to "fixing" it so different? Didn't see 1 post regarding flipping the cover off.

I think this needs a move to 996 forum!

Yes the yanks love to yank them out regardless, plenty of Vids on YouTube with people shouting about them being ticking timebombs, it's basically been repeated so many times it's accepted as truth Over there.

Aww crap! Should have put my glasses on.

MOD COMMENT = Sorted. :thumb:

:cap:

But interestingly the Muricans seem to worry about bore score a lot less than we Brits.

Exactly. Yet I'd imagine there are more cars running in more extreme temperatures at both ends of the scale. I thought they maybe knew something we don't.

There are also a lot of "my indie said it was close to going" type comments.

This still has to be one of my all time favourite horror videos on the internet. I just don't know where to start with what they've done here:

Removing the bigger bearing that doesn't fail
Boring a big hole in you crankcase
Removal of swarf
ect.
etc.
etc.

Engineers look away!!!!!! :eek:

https://vimeo.com/118923581

The repercussions are that a lot of 'Mirkins will now not consider buying a used 996 unless it has had the IMS "fixed"
:eek:

Just read a thread where a guy had "done the IMS fix" because it was a "ticking time bomb". The original had only lasted 150k miles.

I once offered a link to an alternative view from the norm'.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/64948-ims-fix-post522290.html

A few of the usual suspects on the forum dismissed it within a few posts of the linked thread. A regular poster "Particlewave" was regularly shot down for not towing the LN /Jake Raby line, but his input to the forum far outweighs that of Raby IMO. "JFP in PA" (one of Rabys worshipers and a worksop that fits LN products) is a particular merchant of doom when it comes to the IMSB and the alternative options available when one is considering the options.

:puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back