Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Plugs and belt service. Replace rusty bolts?

moonigan

My car is booked in for a plug and belt service in April and I've read that to do this parts of the exhaust system need to be removed :?:

Is it worth getting the rusty bolts replaced with stainless ones when this is done and if so which ones do I need to buy?

Cheers
Paul

Yes.

Can't you leave it to the people doing the service to source them. :?:

T8 said:
Yes.

Can't you leave it to the people doing the service to source them. :?:

Its at an OPC so I suspect they will only source standard parts. I could certainly ask.

moonigan said:
Its at an OPC so I suspect they will only source standard parts. I could certainly ask.

They might be able to advise. Worst scenario = New standard parts will be better than old ones.

The Porsche instructions for a gen 2 are to remove the silencer bolts and drop it then change the plugs.

Im afraid the reality is the clamp bolts are normally so corroded that this isnt possible .

So what we do is remove the pu / bumper and cut the clamps off to remove the silencers , then fit new ones.

The flange bolts which is what i think you mean are not removed to do this job , they do go rusty like all models and have to be burned out .. but not for this job ... the silencer bolts usually come out its just the clamp bolts that dont.

Job time is 1.5 hrs and not the book time of 0.8 because of the above .

Sorry to jump on the post but I am doing my first DIY Major Service in a couple of weeks.

Is corrosion also an issue when removing the silencers to replace the spark plugs on a Gen 1?

Borrowing a ramp so that should be okay.

Any more Gen 1 plug replacement tips please?

Only part of the service that concerns me

you work between the silencer and the head .. remove the coil heat sheild , 10 mm or torx bolts depending on year.. easy .. probably Torx .

Unplug the coil wiring .. i prefer to move the rubber boot up then unclip the wiring plug .. makes it easyier to reinstall ..

remove coils .. T 30 , remove plugs .. its that easy .. refit with new .

I will say on the floor it is harder than on a ramp .. well its a 0.8 job to replace them on a ramp .

you wont have problems unless a bolt snaps and thats rare .

Small amount of ally grease on the new plug threads .

Just to add, OPC won't replace with stainless , only OEM ***** mild steel.

Brilliant thanks for the tips

deMort said:
The Porsche instructions for a gen 2 are to remove the silencer bolts and drop it then change the plugs.

Im afraid the reality is the clamp bolts are normally so corroded that this isnt possible .

So what we do is remove the pu / bumper and cut the clamps off to remove the silencers , then fit new ones.

The flange bolts which is what i think you mean are not removed to do this job , they do go rusty like all models and have to be burned out .. but not for this job ... the silencer bolts usually come out its just the clamp bolts that dont.

Job time is 1.5 hrs and not the book time of 0.8 because of the above .

Superb. Thanks!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back