Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

VHC checks and their Meaning

deMort

Monaco
This is just IMHO only ..

A mechanic at an OPC does a check of the vehicle .. this is about me at an OPC btw and not an Indy .

We have a green .. which we pretty much never use.

We have an Amber box .. this is to advise you that there is some play , wear , oil leak etc and if needed the mechanic will make a comment .. such as slight play etc.

The meaning for this .. as i see it as a mechanic and how I MEAN it is i make the customer aware , i cover my back just in case it gets worse and it needs checking next service .. service intervals are every 2 years for this comment .

Red box .. something is broken be it a number plate light or excessive wear in a suspension component .. oil leaks and its a major leak.

Red items .. you get done .. i dont flag it as red without a dam good reason .

The issue here is the Ambers .. im making this post after reading and answering a recent post about work done .. and the cost .

Its no secret that i say .. if it aint broke dont fix it !

Soo ... i do a report with Ambers and a couple of reds .. i want the reds done .. i want the ambers to be advisory .. Service advisor gets said report , sells the work and comes to me with the list ..

I point out the ambers are me making the customer aware of possible future problems .. cough .. 2 years .. the next service ..

Service advisor tells me ... well ive sold the work now so you have to do it !

But ... erm .. i have no choice .. im then left changing parts that i Advised and several times im only doing that to cover myself just on the off chance something doesnt last till the next service .. 2 YEARS !

You have no idea what its like to change half worn brakes , to change components with slight play in them .. i used to feel bad about it and im not the one Paying the bill !

To be fair .. a few customers want everything done , they dont want to come back in say 1.5 years to have their brakes changed .. i cant help that .. thats their choice .

Indys are " slightly " different .. dam glad im at one these days to be honest ..

Indys ...

Customer service , advise the customer correctly .. we dont always get it right and im the first to admit that .. but we try to ..

We try to provide a service which to be fair we make a profit from .

Please guys .. take the Ambers as an advise .. the mechanic will add if he thinks it will fail before the next service .. you can always ask the question .. which will stump the OPC service advisor .. well .. how bad is it as its not Red ???

DONT just get Amber items done .. find out whats ACTUALLY wrong .. ask the question .. DOES it need doing !!! .. hell ask to speak to the mechanic .. youll get an honest answer then thats for sure .. some play doesnt mean change now .

My 2 pennys worth and if anyone really wants to .. send me the VHC video link and ill do my best to answer if something is needed .

Probably a controversial post .. but hey ho :D

Very helpful, cheers for that deMort

Thanks Iain I have taken that on board.

My 987.2 Boxster which is under warranty comes up for service in June ...... it is with Chiswick OPC at present as my battery died a total death ...... it's being investigated but I doubt if I can get a replacement on warranty but here's hoping.

I took it in yesterday and still waiting to hear from them.

I will be glad when the warranty ends and I can go back using to an Indy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back