Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 2.1 replacement

rickprice

To the assembled masses:

I have a PCM 2.1 in my 997.1, with BOSE. I would dearly love to bring it into the 21st century and get Bluetooth, decent sat nav etc.

Is there a direct exchange unit for the pcm 'head unit'?

I realise I can rip out the whole thing and put in a new amp etc but that seems wasteful.

Alternatively I can simply attach the unit to the speakers without an amp - but presumably I then have to ask my local OPC to program it out?

A direct exchange unit would be lovely - does anybody know of one?

Many thanks,

Richard

There was a direct swap head unit doing the rounds on here a while ago but I don't have details I'm afraid. It was a Chinese product sourced from eBay I recall. The key was it featured the fibre optic link I think which is what made it plug and play.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume you can connect any new HU direct to the speakers. The bose stuff is non orthodox and doesn't mix too well with aftermarket kit. The biggest issue is the bose speakers are 2ohm not 4ohm which is standard. I am no expert but lots of views that something will break at some point with this mismatch. That is why using an map helps because they automatically adapt the output to match the speakers (or so I understand).

In my case I replaced HU and amp and ultimately changed all the speakers also!

I love classic, sporty look of convertibles. This versatility allows you to have the best of both worlds – the wind in your hair, but a roof over your head if you hit nasty weather.

cocomatok said:
I love classic, sporty look of convertibles. This versatility allows you to have the best of both worlds – the wind in your hair, but a roof over your head if you hit nasty weather.

:dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

jl-c said:
cocomatok said:

:dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"

OP
There are a number of head units which fit, Alpine, pioneer, Kenwood all make good ones. It is a bit of a minefield, but depends if you have steering wheel controls and also Bose?

I'm making plans to replace the PCM in my 997.2 with Bose, here's what I've come up with so far, hopefully it'll be useful to you also:

• You'll need a MOST adaptor if you plan to stick with the Bose speakers. This one seems expensive but likely to work well, I believe you can get cheaper from eBay but I haven't looked myself.
  • You can pick from any double din head unit if you also buy a surround for the dash. Here is the black version for my car, I think they also sell a grey version for the 997.1.
  • Head unit is obviously a personal choice. I think I'll go with a Sony XAV-AX3005DB which in my opinion does a good job of looking OEM-ish while also being pretty well featured.

Let us know what you go for and how it turns out!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back