Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Analysis Help

Hi All, had my oil changed recently and took the chance to send a sample off to Millers (very fast service by the way)

Its come back and to be honest I could do with some help interpreting the results. The only comment they made was 'advise change due to fuel dilution'

The wear metals came back as follows (all ppm)
Chrome 1
Nickel 1
Tin 1
Boron 101 (which is the fuel from what I can gather)
Iron 11
Molybdenum 40
Silicon 3
Aluminium 5
Copper 3
Sodium 6

When I smelt the oil before sending off it did smell a bit 'fuely' Any ideas on cause of this?

I think this verifies that 2 year oil changes should be ignored and done yearly. Which I will be doing from now!

Millers should give you a commentary with the data... they will also have the benefit of data from other similar cars that they will share with you, in terms of where your car's data sits.

Getting the analysis done annually will show a trend over time and hence more useful.

Fuel in oil is generally a sign of shorter trips usage... the cylinders are washed with rich fuel mixture as a greater % of time of overall usage.

Thanks for the replies. I did have a chat to Millers and they confirmed that the metal content in the oil was very low which was great news and was the original reason I got the oil tested. They couldn't help much with the fuel content though. Most of my journeys are 40 mins and where possible I stretch the engine so it's not through short journeys or babying the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back