Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to jack up a 996 GT3

johntyboy

Silverstone
Hi

I find my 996 GT3 difficult to jack up. I tend to want to jack all 4 wheels off the ground at once and have used a jack at each side but seems to be quite precarious. There is, what looks like a jacking point on the engine crankcase just behind the gearbox, are you okay to jack the rear of the car up at this point?

Kind Regards

That's the engine arrestor - DO NOT JACK IT THERE!

A bit further back towards the rear of the car there is a flat area of the crankcase; that's where you need to place your jack. If you are putting it on axle stands, make sure you place them on the actual rear subframe, not on any suspension component.

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

Just out of interest, what is an engine arrester?

Kind Regards

In the event of a big front-end accident (ie. coming to a sudden stop from reasonably high speed), the arrester will hook onto the ARB and dissipate the forward energy of the engine & gearbox by bending the ARB. I have seen engine cases where the arrester has been torn out with the forces involved and has destroyed the cases as a result. My 996 track car has the arrester removed for precisely this reason.

Hi Nick

Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense.

Kind regards.

Check this out

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1235452

I have had my 996GT3 up on 4 jack stands many, many times and always use the same procedure which has never resulted in any damage or anxious moments. Here is what I do,

Lifting kit needed;

Low entry jack
Ice hockey puck
4 off decent axle stands
2 off wooden blocks approx 10" high around 12" x 12" (I made these from 3" x 2" offcuts)

Make sure handbrake is on in gear etc and chock the opposite side to which you are working.

Place a jack under one of the rear body jacking points and raise high enough to get an axle stand under the front body jacking point. Place one of the wooden blocks under the rear wheel. Carefully lower the car onto the front jack and the rear tyre onto the wooden block.

Repeat on the other side of the car, leaving your car on two axle stands at the front and the two wooden blocks at the rear.

Then using the hockey puck, jack under the rear transverse crossmember in the centre until you can get the two remaining axle stands under the rear body jacking points, remove the wooden blocks and lower onto the axle stands.

It really is easy and takes me literally five minutes.

Lowering is the reverse, raise the rear a little to get the wheels back on to the wooden blocks and remove the axle stands.

Then use the rear jacking point with the jack to raise one side high enough to remove the wooden block and front axle stand, followed by the same the other side.

Here is mine up having the brake fluid changed early last year.

Attachments

• img_0651_102.jpg
    img_0651_102.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5,128
ontheloop, you look far too young to own a GT3. Or is owning a GT3 the secret of eternal youth? :?: :D

ontheloop said:
Then using the hockey puck, jack under the rear transverse crossmember in the centre until you can get the two remaining axle stands under the rear body jacking points, remove the wooden blocks and lower onto the axle stands.
I've used similar method changing the oil on my 996 turbo in the past.

However, for the assistance of those not familiar, does anyone have a picture of this 'extra' jacking point? Just a thought.

I say! What lovely, shiny headers you have there.

For those who don't know - the wooden block in on the bit you want to jack up in the above picture.

I'd seen that bracket and always wondered what it was. Glad it had been explained on here!

I know they're not cheap but one of the easiest and safest ways to get all 4 wheels off the ground in a home/garage environment is probably a Quickjack lift :thumbs:

https://www.quickjacklift.co.uk/

Thanks for all your reply's, most helpful.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back