Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Discs/pads and warranty ?

Gazc2

My mates 2017 30d cayenne is needing discs and pads on the front local garage is going to do them do they need to be supplied from Porsche ? I realise consumables are not covered by the warranty however if something associated
goes wrong will it matter ? are Sebro whats normally fitted ?

cheers

Gaz

Got the answer with the block exemption regs (off suitable quality)

Block Exemption

In October, 2003 European Union legislation, 'Block Exemption Regulations 1400/2002' (BER) came into force.
The ruling gave motorists more freedom in their decision as to who could repair and service their vehicles. Any garage can be used to service your car without invalidating the manufacturer's warranty (subject to certain conditions).
Aimed at safeguarding free competition in the entire market for vehicle spare parts, service and repair. These meant:
parts distributors can supply parts of the appropriate quality to dealers and authorised repairers without the vehicle manufacturer / assembler using 'dealer / repairer contracts' or other means to prevent them.
parts manufacturers can no longer be forced by their original equipment (OE) contract to limit supply of parts to the vehicle manufacturer / assembler.
parts manufacturers can supply OE products under their own brand so motorists and repairers will not feel they have to go to a main dealer for a certain part.
anyone with a legitimate need for technical information has a right of access to it in a usable form and at a reasonable cost.
Independent repairers can carry out normal maintenance and repair services during a vehicle's warranty period without invalidating the warranty conditions provided that:
the service is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's servicing schedules and is recorded as such.
any parts used are of 'appropriate quality' and are recorded.
If you require any further information or if you have any evidence of vehicle manufacturers or their dealers infringing these rules, then please contact the ADF office www.adf.org.uk

Just to agree .. as long as Porsche parts are used then who fits them is irrelevant as long as they are fitted correctly .

Brakes are not covered by warrenty unless under 2 years old and the complaint is a noise .. it might be at that point .... or caliper failure etc and not wear and tear .

I'm not sure about Sebro discs and pads and hadn't heard of them until you brought it up but noticed Euro Car Parts and Carparts4less are selling this brand. I have an older model 955 and am about to do the brakes and from various forum searching the Brembo option seems to be the best for performance and longevity. The best price I could find from shopping around was GSF. They were about £70 less than the next cheapest option for Brembo discs and pads. Free delivery too.

In the past I have fitted Pagid items and always been impressed by them. They are OEM on most German manufacturers.

Discs and pads from eurocarparts were working out at £224 with there usual 50% promotion. In regards your comments Ian I don't think it HAS to be Porsche parts "any parts used are of 'appropriate quality' and are recorded" not sure where you would record it other than your receipt.

My understanding is that it is true for the standard warranty that they don't have to be genuine Porsche parts. The same doesn't apply once you are on the paid for warranty where they can apply whatever rules they like.

I will be the first to admit I don't have a warranty so have had no reason to investigate this thoroughly. Don't quote me as being 'something I read on the internet so it must be true'.

MC

I can only say what i think im afraid ..

Car is under 2 years i assume .. non Porsche parts fitted .. it cant invalidate the warrenty but depending on what warrenty claim you make it can have an effect .

Obviously if you complain of brake squeel with non Porsche brakes fitted you will get told to pay .. but they can in theory refuse something related to the brakes .,. suspension knock , wheel bearing etc ..

I realise that the non Porsche parts fitted wont have any real effect on these but its something they could argue ..

They will basically refuse to pay warrenty .. its upto you to then sue them and prove it didnt effect the said problem .

Porsche will not provide warrenty on anything they didnt supply .. but why should they .

Your main problem is if you want to extend the warrenty .. any non Porsche parts and its a fail .. it does depend on if the mechanic can spot they are not Porsche items . but if they do .. fail .

There is a huge mark up on brakes .. talking 50% here so the insentive to fit non Porsche makes a huge saving ..

i think if it was me .. i would phone an OPC and ask the question .. get past the bull ... and you might get an answer .

I agree with all your points, it takes away any wriggle room if you fit p parts :thumb:

Noste500 said:
How would I find out what brand/ spec the pads were? (For OE )

Can you see a make on the back of the pad? For example mine are Pagid on the GT4.

Out of interest what do Porsche do for brake squeel? I'm getting a bit of that with the GT4. I was tempted to leave it until spring. Will they wack on new pads :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back