Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locking Wheel Nuts

JamesGreen

Hi all,
Got a call from the garage this morning saying that they are unable to change my brakes due to my locking wheel nuts being over tightened and has snapped they key when they tried to remove them! :dont know:
They have said they are unable to help and have asked me to collect the vehicle and drop it back once i have removed them.
Any advice on what can be done in this situation.
I spoke to the dealer who said a new key will probably snap as well if they have been over tightened. To be honest they wasn't very helpful at all :?:

I surely can not be the only person who has come across this problem? Any help is very much appreciated!

So....

There are folks out there who will fix this for you (and I am assuming that getting a new key will not work....)

Basically they weld on a hex bar about 2cm across the flats and then get a very large spanner on it....

You have to get a new set of locking nuts but at least you can get the wheel off!

In the past I've just drilled the head off then removed the stump. If you get the locking key, tighten your other 4 bolts up as tight as you can, thise then takes pressure off the locking bolt so you can then undo it, then undo the others.

First off .. try another dealer .. not very good service there.

Assumeing they are Porsche wheel lock bolts then a new key and a breaker bar will get them undone .

Ive never snapped a locking key .. ever .. i have had some round off or because of rust not fit correctly .. btw you hit it on with a hammer BEFORE starting this job if its rust .

But they always come undone .

Also a bit surprised at the garage .. adapt and over come .. this sort of thing isnt new to us .

:agree:

mikeluke said:
So....

There are folks out there who will fix this for you (and I am assuming that getting a new key will not work....)

Basically they weld on a hex bar about 2cm across the flats and then get a very large spanner on it....

You have to get a new set of locking nuts but at least you can get the wheel off!

Thank you!
Ill have a search now and see if there is anyone close by. :D

deMort said:
First off .. try another dealer .. not very good service there.

Assumeing they are Porsche wheel lock bolts then a new key and a breaker bar will get them undone .

Ive never snapped a locking key .. ever .. i have had some round off or because of rust not fit correctly .. btw you hit it on with a hammer BEFORE starting this job if its rust .

But they always come undone .

Also a bit surprised at the garage .. adapt and over come .. this sort of thing isnt new to us .

They said its quite common and that to order a new key will take around two weeks anyway. I dont know if they was pulling my leg now of if i had spoken to a newbie who fed me the wrong info. :?:

They weren't pulling your leg.........they were pulling your middle wicket!

What sort of business fobs you off without any help other than go elsewhere?

Well if its common to them then i feel they must be doing something different than me .

Ive rounded them but never snapped one before .. ermm .... just to clarify ..

Thats in 15 years of being a Porsche mechanic with over 10 of them at a Porsche dealer .

Guess ive just been lucky :)

Where are you based and what garage are they?.. They sound like the sort of garage to avoid. Letting you know the issue is fair enough but ffs sort it out ..........you are a garage!!! There to solve probelms not give you problems :x

I am in Kent and have a locking wheel nut you can borrow. Obviously assuming it is the same as yours. There ain't that many combinations.

Pip

Ps it may be a long shot but I have two different types.

Pip1968 said:
Where are you based and what garage are they?.. They sound like the sort of garage to avoid. Letting you know the issue is fair enough but ffs sort it out ..........you are a garage!!! There to solve probelms not give you problems

:yeah:

:bandit:

Hi all.
I'm based in North London, i would rather not name and shame them as usually they are quite good apart from this one time.
On the plus side i managed to find a mobile locking wheel nut removal service, a nice chap called Sam came out to me and had them all off in 20 minutes with what seemed like minimal effort. Cant recommend them enough! If anyone else finds themselves in a similar predicament their website is http://www.lockingwheelnutremovers.co.uk.
Apparently its a really common problem and he does loads every day.

Thank you all for your replies, it really started to worry me. I thought i may never be able to get my wheels off :thumbs: :floor:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back