Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

My wheel wobble seems to have abated a bit with the winters, but I reckon that there is still an issue: presumably the alignment is out, there is a warped brake disc or I've flat spotted or damaged a summer tyre.

I'd also run over a large (fist sized) rock on Friday afternoon which made one hell of a bang underneath, and I was worried that something was seriously bent/broken/damaged. I'd stopped and checking for damage and fluid leaks with a torch but I could only get the car jacked up on Saturday morning. I saw that the rock had hit the front floorpan, but nowhere else, and although there was a scratch, it was nothing like was I was expecting. What a relief. These things do seem to be pretty well built!

I wonder what a full set of those rally spec aluminium under trays costs?

Just FYI; I have updated the list of mods on the bottom of page 4

My Rennline pedal set rocked up within a day of placing the 'Black Friday' order at Design911, which was a pleasant surprise. Now it's just to get them installed, but I'll be out of the country until Sunday.

Max what's the weather like there at the moment? Presumably winter sets in early :?:

spongebob squarepants said:
Max what's the weather like there at the moment? Presumably winter sets in early :?:

As you might expect, it's cold (just a little below freezing), dark and there's a bit of ice out there; there's a bridge near me that's always icy (even if the rest of the roads are dry, as it bridges the sea) and if you hoof it out of the corner onto the 'straight' you can get a bit of a drift on (which is never a good idea on a narrow bridge).

I've been on the Nokians since 1st November, but only the last few days have we needed to use the DEFA engine block pre-heaters. And I topped up the screen wash with the -30c winter grade stuff. All very exciting.

I finally got around to replacing the dirty K&N air filters at the weekend. It's handy that the engine is warm when it's -5c. Only about 10 Torx 20 screws to undo (eight outside and two inside the air box). Easy enough with my bendy screwdriver.

I'll clean the old pair over the winter, and try not to overoil them: they really looked quite 'dry' (there's much less oil than the K&Ns I use on our other cars fresh out of the plastic wrapper).

Instead of white, Mr White is British Racing Brown at the moment. :eek:

freeze dried?

for those who love pictures, this is what Mr (once) White tends to look like on a dry day.

Attachments

• 20181215_143146_146.jpg
    20181215_143146_146.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 5,999
spongebob squarepants said:

Another good trick for the winter is to silicon the door rubbers (we can buy a little bottle with a little sponge applicator) so the doors don't get stuck once the temperature plunges.

JayG60 said:
How they should look :thumbs:

Cheers. I suspect that if I showed a picture of what it usually looks like (i.e. when it's -3c or more and the slush isn't frozen yet and I've done a few km) several of the members of this parish might start thinking I'm completely mad... and all I'm doing is just getting around. :dont know:

Well, I have been quiet... but the car runs fine, it just needs to go to annual inspection by 27 February, which is, I think, it's 9th birthday.

It really doesn't feel like a 9 year old car to drive, except maybe that the new cars are more likely to rock some massive touch screen on the inside (it's sort of odd to see old rock videos playing inside a Tesla), more addenda to the body (all sorts of aero-scoops and slashes and intakes and such) and probably a turbo on the engine. :dont know:

I need to fly tonight so I got the annual inspection done, with no issues and no advisories (I should hope not). The inspector has seen the car before (he inspected it on import), but he didn't appear to notice the new ride height, so that saved a lot of time and unnecessary paperwork.

It's feeling very spring-like, 6.5c, sunny and lots of melting snow. And melting ice. Which then refreezes at night. I'm still happy to be running the studded tyres in these conditions, but I'm looking forward to the real spring (which will likely be mid April) so that I can run summers on dry roads again. It's a bit noisy on the dry tarmac. 8)

I suppose the mods never stop, but the rate at which they happen slows down.

Anyway, I just ordered the Function First yellow transmission mount for my 9972 PDK, in an effort to smooth the gearchange (and especially that thunk from second to first as you slow down in Sport/Sports+). I went for yellow, as it seems the right combination with the semi-solid RSS engine mounts I already have installed. I won't worry about a little bit of NVH.

Let's see if it's $130 well spent.

Spring ...

or winter?

Attachments

• 20190317_165046_173.jpg
    20190317_165046_173.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 4,970
  • 20190317_165116_176.jpg
    20190317_165116_176.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 4,970
  • 20190317_165152_193.jpg
    20190317_165152_193.jpg