Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Macan vs Cayenne

Zorro

Montreal
Had a brand new Macan S diesel as a courtesy car from Porsche Tonbridge whilst my 2010 958 Cayenne 3.0 diesel was in for a service and I thought I would share my view.

I particularly liked the sharper turn in on roundabouts and you could feel the absence of some weight. I also liked the smooth and swift changing 7 speed PDK gearbox as opposed to the 8 speed tiptronic. I am surprised they use a different gearbox for fundamentally the same engine.

Although it is not a fair comparison I found the 50 profile tyres on the Macan gave a much smoother ride than the low profiles fitted to the 21 inch wheels on the Cayenne. My car came with these wheels, I would never have chosen them.

There have been some modest updates to the satnav and instruments since 2010 although they are pretty similar.

On the negative front there is a marked reduction in rear passenger and luggage/dog space although the front appears pretty similar. Whilst the Macan is quicker on paper I didn't really notice a significant difference in performance. I initially found the steering unnecessarily weightier, but got used to it after a couple of days.

In summary I don't think there is a particular winner it's just a case of what suits individual's needs.

size matters

Macan is a Golf GTI SUV edition

high profile tyres help the ride quality but look awful

Zorro said:
Had a brand new Macan S diesel as a courtesy car from Porsche Tonbridge whilst my 2010 958 Cayenne 3.0 diesel was in for a service and I thought I would share my view.

I particularly liked the sharper turn in on roundabouts and you could feel the absence of some weight. I also liked the smooth and swift changing 7 speed PDK gearbox as opposed to the 8 speed tiptronic. I am surprised they use a different gearbox for fundamentally the same engine.

Although it is not a fair comparison I found the 50 profile tyres on the Macan gave a much smoother ride than the low profiles fitted to the 21 inch wheels on the Cayenne. My car came with these wheels, I would never have chosen them.

There have been some modest updates to the satnav and instruments since 2010 although they are pretty similar.

On the negative front there is a marked reduction in rear passenger and luggage/dog space although the front appears pretty similar. Whilst the Macan is quicker on paper I didn't really notice a significant difference in performance. I initially found the steering unnecessarily weightier, but got used to it after a couple of days.

In summary I don't think there is a particular winner it's just a case of what suits individual's needs.

I think you have to include the Panamera estate in the mix now.

Would guess it would be a better load lugger than the macan.
I saw a metallic green GTS at Chester OPC last week......OMG absolutely stunning.

I don't think I've tried a very recent Macan - though the first ones were pretty good cars, I thought. I do like the new Cayenne though - had a petrol S for the day at the end of last summer and it was excellent on almost every front. Even had those trick PSCB brakes - enormous stopping power and the huge alloys did indeed stay spotless (good thing as they looked like a right PITA to clean!). For me though the main difference is size and therefore utility: If I wanted say an alternative to an X5 (or even an X3) then only the Cayenne has a generous enough load area and rear seating. If I was looking for a small SUV and didn't need the load space and rarely ever carried 6ft+ passengers then the Macan would be the one.

Rhodris-dad said:
Zorro said:
I think you have to include the Panamera estate in the mix now.

Would guess it would be a better load lugger than the macan.
I saw a metallic green GTS at Chester OPC last week......OMG absolutely stunning.

THe issue for me with the Panamera is that despite it being huge the boot isn't that bog and the boot doesn't open flat with the load floor which I suspect is because it's based on a hatchback. Major black mark as a dog owner!

We have both a Cayenne and a Macan....might seems excessive but we're both at home and do probably 25k to 30k miles a year as a family. The Cayenne is an S Diesel and the Macan a Turbo PP. The Cayenne is much bigger than a Macan...that's the main difference....if we're going anywhere with the kids and the dog there is only one car being taken (Macan has same issue with the boot not opening flat to the load floor)...but the interior space is also significantly more too.

Both great cars and I think the Cayenne is a much better car to drive than it has the right to be given it's size. The Macan is just a fantastic drivers car and way better than it should be in the handling department but I think the GTS/PP chassis set up has considerably more body control than the normal set up. That said the PP still wafts incredibly well.

Had a Macan 2.0 loan car last week....the normal air PASM is very good but it's not got the body control. Nice car until you rev the engine and then it isn't....needs to be driven on the torque. I wouldn't spend the extra for a facelift I'd buy a late used car and get a better spec/model for the same money. Not enough difference...even my 10yr old son thought the new widescreen Sat Nav overkill....and daftly when using Apple Car Plau things like Waze are smaller than on the previous cars because they fill the screen with a load of other info you don't need.

I think the reason for tiptronic on cayenne vs PDK on others is the amount of torque the twin clutch box can take. I know that was true for earlier generations of PDK.

I've had a loaner Macan (Diesel S) today, as the Boxster is in for the inspection for the warranty extension.

Plus points for me:
Comfortable seating
Feels nimble to drive
Larger profile tyres give good ride
Seems to have plenty of poke

Downside
Not much room in the back and it is quite dark in there
Too many buttons on the console - I would never be able to find the right one in the dark
It is expensive compared with a Cayenne, if you are looking for a real family load-lugger

Nice car but not around £55K worth of nice car....

I've had two macans now, a Diesel S and a GTS. I missed the extra torque on the Diesel, when I got the GTS, but the Sport+ mode makes up for it. It's a riot on a decent road, and the acceleration at the lights surprises quite a few hot hatch drivers. The economy is shocking though, averaging about 20mpg on a good day, as the sport or sport+ button seems constantly engaged.

They are nice places to be though, and the interior is spot on. The back is pretty cramped though, so if you've got a family to cart around, the Cayenne is the way to go.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back