Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air con delete

NedHan79

Has anyone dumped their air con?
Mine dosnt work and it's something I hardly ever use anyway.
I like the idea of getting rid of the condensers for radiator air flow reasons.

What's involved?
Is there a smaller belt available if I remove the pump?
Is there any other problems that come with it?
Will my dash instruments still blow cold air, as in like a car with no air con, and will the heat be affected in any way?

I don't seem to be getting a good reception with this idea mark.

Maybe it's a sign :?:

Just kidding Ned.

Rich ELA covered it in his thread and I think Martin maybe leaving it off, I can't remember.

Yes a smaller belt is available.

I'd just sort it though. We are lucky that our model is the cheapest 911 to fix the aircon on. Even if you require a new compressor they're cheap on eBay.

Try fixing a 964/993 system, you're into thousands. :eek:

Even in a GT3 Clubsport the only option I couldn't live without would be aircon.
Colour coded centre console is nice too mind, although easy to do. :wink:

PS It's all down to the use you have in mind. No wrong or right way. :thumb:

For all the car does, I don't need to be in any panic. I can simply slide it down the list a little.
Or maybe a lot. It's a big list :eek:

I took my compressor off because it broke and was heavy(6KG). I did notice the difference, but I am a driving nerd. I left the pipes and rads in place as they aren't all that heavy and I wanted to keep it easy to reinstate. I tie wrapped bags over the exposed pipe ends in the engine bay in order to keep out dirt and moisture.

The shorter belt is easy to get hold of and fit. I looked at the smaller pulley but research showed the gain is too small to be measurable, so I didn't bother.

My aircon is always on and I wouldn't buy a car without it.

You are a mad man!

My car is a weekend B road basher only, no commuting apart from early morning school runs of a couple of miles before the day has had a chance to warm up. If I was stuck in traffic every afternoon I would certainly re-install it.

I'll b lucky if I do 2000 miles a year so I'm not worried if it works or not.
It's purely a toy.

Can you remember where you got the belt?

I have modified my a/c system to run with one condenser to get additional airflow to the rad.

That said I ran most of last summer without the a/c so am currently contemplating ditching it.

Me too.

MC

I have been watching your progress mc. Nice job.
I'm thinking of ditching the lot. Strip it out and have done with it.
It's good to get different opinions on the subject but I think it's a done deal.
Where did you get the belt mc?

Only thing you may have to watch is the car possibly running tool cold then, do you have a Low temp thermostat fitted? If you read up on that its a good thing to have to get the coolant circulating at an earlier temp.

My worry would be that fully exposed rads would then mean the car is over cooling compared to normal. I will fix mine at some point but I suppose the way I thought about it was that if the condensers are there they are protecting the rads a bit and it never runs hot anyway. You would need to rip everything out to make a difference IMO and you do have to think about resale if it occurs as it may put a lot of people off.

I am still running AC in mine, so using the standard belt. It is just that I have gone from 2 condensers down to 1. It was possible to spec the car without AC so there shouldn't be a problem with it running too cool. Note that when AC is on the fans are always running, so pulling more air through the radiators anyway. Without AC the fans would be off unless needed.

Mesh over the bumper openings to protect the radiators, otherwise muck just gets trapped between the condensers and radiators and blocks airflow through both.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back