Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 3.2 (2.7RS Recreation)

Jamesyg

After selling my 996 Turbo I've been looking for a replacement. Wanted a raw driving experience that appealed to my love of classics. Tried a couple of 996 GT3's, but decided that these didn't quite tick the box. At the same time I was proactively searching for an RS or RSR backdate.

My pro active searching came to fruition when I was contacted about a 2.7RS recreation, built on a 3.2 car. The car had been used as a part of a fleet 'track day experience' cars - but had had limited use. Apparently the general public weren't interested!

After going to look at it, I fell in love and purchased the car. I had the opportunity to spend time under the car, assessing it, going through the history etc. Was a 3.2 car converted by Jasmine Porscha-link back in 2008. She arrived with me 2 weeks ago,

She's not concours, but nor did I want her to be, she is honest car, with room for personal touches and minor changes. Interestingly, she also has an RSR tank, which really stands out. Have already started to construct a list of things to do quickly, and things I'll do over time. But to start...

1. PORSCHE decal ordered for ducktail spoiler (done)
2. 2.7 Badge ordered
3. Black & White metal plates ordered (done)
4. Exhaust is the dansk impact bumper variant - needs sorting!
5.Steve Wong Chip to be ordered
6. WEVO gear shift
7. Detail & clean

Over time I then plan the following

1. Wing mirror delete / RS mirror fitted
2. Window trim - black to chrome
3. Door handles - black to chrome
4. Side indicator delete
5. PMO EFI carb conversion
6. Interior retrim to houndstooth
7. Etc etc

She's an absolute joy to drive. Having been lowered and adjusted to RS height, the road handling is sublime, and with the lightweight parts you really notice the difference over a standard 3.2... and when she comes on cam... :lol:

Anyways, any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Particularly where mirrors are concerned! I'll keep this thread updated as I make more changes.

:thumbs:

Looking forward to seeing it should you ever bring it South.

I bet TerryG loves it too. :thumb:

Congrats on the purchase, looks sweet. :bandit:

Reads like you have most of the finer bits sorted. The RS Mirror(s) & Chrome work will definitely have the biggest impact visually.
Not sure on the houndstooth? Some period seats in the RS cord would be a nice touch IMO.

Good luck with the project and here's hoping for a great summer of driving.

C.

Jamesyg, congrats on your new car it looks just superb...and given that which you type it seems it will provide you with a whole lot of challenges and enjoyment for some time to come..

I think I can appreciate where you are coming from relative to seeking what may be described as a more involving driving experience, I have never driven a 996 or any of the later 911 derivatives but was told I the first private individual to drive the 993 at it`s UK press launch, at the time I owned a ten year old non sport SC at the time.

Having spent much of the day driving the 993 and being impressed with many aspects of it`s power delivery and handling, when I jumped back in my old SC at the end of that day, it was definately a different driving experience perhaps less competent and less comfortable than the 993 though perhaps more involving...

I have read where some seem to determine that the 993 felt somewhat less modern than the 996 and I think the 997 was perhaps also seen as a move towards ideals more in line with evolving expectations that may have been likely to prevail in traffic at the time, thus auto boxes which may have been unlikely to be popular in sports cars some time back, perhaps have become far more desirable on the roads today...?

I suspect you might also enjoy a different view from the drivers seat in your 3.2 than from your 996 (?) in that you can look out along the tops of the wings and on to the road ahead, and perhaps that which those who might determine the early Porsches as a more primitive driving experience by comparison with more modern expectations, miss that the pre 993 Porsches had a different feel and as such perhaps provided a more involving, the unkind might suggest primitive driving experience, though the advantage of "primitive" may be that feed back and fun can be had on the roads without the need to attend track days or blast along autobahns... ?

Each to their own. Just thinking in type.

Me..? Err....I have to admit to driving a really primitive machine :oops:

Nice! 8)

I can totally see the attraction in that. I look forward to any updates. :thumb:

Looks great , and with your planed mods will take it to the next level :thumbs:

Lovely choice :thumb: I love the feel of the old ones. You will love it :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back