Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

I saw a sign in Sri Lanka that said happiness isn't about having the best of everything, it's making the best of what you have.

If you have to get some finance for the GT3 why not get more and keep the 996? Interest rates are so low these days that it often makes sense to use someone else's money rather than your own.

maldren said:
I saw a sign in Sri Lanka that said happiness isn't about having the best of everything, it's making the best of what you have.

There is a lot to be said for that but I also see the desire to have something else.
Id love a Gt3 purely as its seen as it is one of the few top of the tree of the 996's. I also see the aircooled thing, Id love a 964.

I often think like this and I also like to have slightly different or rare cars. e.g. my desire to own a Lancia Integrale Evo is so high but then I go for a drive in what I have and feel very content. Especailly if its something still needs improved so I have something to work on.

Marcus Aurelius puts it this way:

Treat what you don't have as nonexistent. Look at what you have, the things you value most, and think of how much you'd crave them if you didn't have them.

I sure would crave not having my Evora now :D
Perhaps you should try one, Marky?

EGTE said:
Marcus Aurelius puts it this way:

Treat what you don't have as nonexistent. Look at what you have, the things you value most, and think of how much you'd crave them if you didn't have them.

I sure would crave not having my Evora now :D
Perhaps you should try one, Marky?

That does not sound good 🙈
What you need is a nice gen 1 996 with aero. I just happen to have one 😉
Meanwhile I made the first large purchase for the gen 2 last week, purchased a genuine Aerokit II Cup wing and gen 2 side skirts, so with the front PU you changed it will have the full aero look. Fingers crossed I like it when it's all on.

Hope the Evora does not cause you too much pain! 👍

Mike and EG, they're nice sentiments and I wish I was as patient, but we all know what it's like when it's boys and they're toys. :grin:

Neil - I'd need the money from the C2 to fund a GT3 plus it would be utterly pointless keeping a C2 with a GT3. They'd fill the garage and even owning one alone means an expensive garage ornament for 300 days per year. Which is yet another reason why I'm trying to hold off changing.

Hi Graham, that's it, for some the GT3 appeals because you can drive it to a circuit, wring it's neck all day, then drive it home. Like you though I buy into it because it's a bit special, has 'that" engine and is a road going 911 turned up to 11. Not in outright pace, but for the attack on the senses.

During the last mad few years of price rises etc I thought I'd never own one again. There's a chance again now so I'm thinking grab it while I can. However, do I need one now? Not really. Could it wait another year or two? Probably.
I could wait then not be able to get one, or I could wait and be able to get a red or yellow MK1 CS.
Like my old man always says, there'll always be another one so why rush it.

EG, I have a list of cars I'd love to try at some point and Evora or Exige is on there. I'm still addicted to 911s at the moment though. :D

ABCarrera. I hope your still enjoying EGs old one. It's wearing probably the finest suspension of any 996 on here. A lucky find that. Good timing. :thumb:

Cheers lads. :thumb:

Perhaps I was unclear. I still have the Evora and love it immensely. The suspension is at least as good as the Exe-TC stuff too, possibly even better! Very, very highly recommended!

Anyway, completely understand how it's hard to be rational at times like this, Marky.
:grin:

Clear as day to me bud, but I'm guessing you were talking to ABCarrera. I know you have the Evora and AB has your old 996. :thumb:

I may as well cover some of the other small jobs I've been working through.

I had cleaned my idle air control valve out last year when chasing my lumpy idle.
I didn't have a new gasket so used a smear of sealant.
So a new gasket has now been fitted.
£2 from Porsche rather than £8/£10 eBay chancers have them up for. It's not a huge difference in price but it's always worth trying Porsche first as there are so many people on eBay now reselling parts for more than Porsche charge.
Plus I'd rather have a Porsche receipt for the history file than an eBay one. I mean come on, wouldn't everyone....
No? Must just be me then. :coat: :grin:

Next was some finish tweaking to the doors/windows.
First job was I had a small amount of wind noise coming from the drivers wing mirror area, that wasn't there before the respray.

Basically there's a little push-in rubber bung moulded to the underside of this flat door capping/seal (I forgot to take a pic and I don't want to dislodge it again for a photo). We are looking down on the front of the door-top here -

This wasn't pushed into its hole in the door properly so the air was whistling underneath it. I pushed it down to seat it correctly and I'm pretty sure that will have been the cause of the wind noise.

Just incase though we then turned our attention to fettling the window.

You need to open the door and use a screwdriver to latch the catch as if you've closed the door, so the window lifts to its fully closed position.

Then look down the front edge of the glass where it slides down the seal/guide.
There shouldn't be a huge gap. Mine was a good few mm.

So next, whip the door card and mirror base triangle off and there are two oval rubber bungs near the top of the door. One near the front and one near the back.

One was missing so I bought a couple of spares.

Bungs -

Removed from here, not the best pic but they're easy to find anyway. -

Simply flip the bungs out of their holes. Loosen the bolts underneath, slide the window glass forward, then nip up the bolts and refit the bungs.
This is mine now. 2mm or 3mm gap.

Once done remember to unlatch the door lock before you try and close your door.

Then refit the door card with anti-rattle clips.

Old vs new -

Whilst finishing off the door I fitted a new hinge bolt as the body shop had lost one. These go straight up into the bottom of the door hinges. 4 per car.

I also bought a pack of new clips for the outer door seal, as again the body shop told me a few had snapped on disassembly. Old plastic doesn't like playing ball sometimes.

They've changed the style of these from a thin plastic peg and rubber grommet, to a one piece chunkier style.

Old vs new -

So the drivers door is all done and spot on now. I'll do all the above on the passenger door, just for good measure, then the doors, clips and seals are as new and properly sorted.

It's boring! Sorry, but I like to keep a record.
:thumb:

Marky911 said:
It's not a huge difference in price but it's always worth trying Porsche first as there are so many people on eBay now reselling parts for more than Porsche charge.

Too true Mark.

9Apart have TRW 996 rear coffin arms (allegedly) for sale on the bay of E at £225 for a pair, though I suspect they mean each. Their advert is about as clear as mud :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Pair-of-Ge...rol-Coffin-Arm-996-911-986-Boxster/1132676917

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ategory=33583&pm=1&ds=0&t=1542030914000&ver=0

The tuning fork bush looks strange to me ? And the advert says they're £637 EACH from your OPC. A quick call to my OPC and they tell me they're £241.75 each plus vat...

It's jungle out there, and there are a lot of snakes slithering around in the undergrowth.

Slippydiff said:
Marky911 said:
It's not a huge difference in price but it's always worth trying Porsche first as there are so many people on eBay now reselling parts for more than Porsche charge.

Too true Mark.

9Apart have TRW 996 rear coffin arms (allegedly) for sale on the bay of E at £225 for a pair, though I suspect they mean each. Their advert is about as clear as mud :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Pair-of-Ge...rol-Coffin-Arm-996-911-986-Boxster/1132676917

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ategory=33583&pm=1&ds=0&t=1542030914000&ver=0

The tuning fork bush looks strange to me ? And the advert says they're £637 EACH from your OPC. A quick call to my OPC and they tell me they're £241.75 each plus vat...

It's jungle out there, and there are a lot of snakes slithering around in the undergrowth.

These have an eccentric washer in the bush that allows you to adjust caster. Thats why they look odd, standard arms don't have this.

wasz said:
Slippydiff said:
Marky911 said:

Too true Mark.

These have an eccentric washer in the bush that allows you to adjust caster. Thats why they look odd, standard arms don't have this.

I thought they looked different to the standard bushes. It seemed strange they were supplying the tuning fork bolt too (I actually wondered if it was the inner coffin arm bush bolt they were supplying ...)
It's a neat idea, but I'd imagine setting the caster accurately whilst fighting the inner coffin arm bush, could be interesting ...

It's funny, my mate Craig has a brand new genuine coffin arm in his parts stash and that's different again. The hole for the tuning fork bolt is a figure of 8 so you can use either section of the 8, again to adjust castor. Seems pretty pointless really.

Another good example of eBay resellers are the 997 GT3 brake ducts. £25/£30 a set on eBay, yet £2 and £6 (2 of each) from Porsche.

The rears aren't in stock though. I ordered mine last June and they still aren't in.

Roll up! Roll up!

Get your black 996s here.

Well, just one actually. :D

Advert yet to go live but it's also on the bay of E. We'll see how things pan out.

Cant find it on e bay, item number?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back