Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

O/S radiator fan not working on stage 1

WD-40

I've had an advisory that my O/S radiator fan is not working on stage 1. Any thoughts on:

1. What might the fix might be? New fan or other
2. How critical it is to get it fixed, or is it something that could be left without causing any issues?

I'm planning on getting my aircon condensers replaced shortly so I'm assuming it makes sense to do the fix at the same time as the bumper will be off etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Make sure they physically pull it apart before confirming that something is broken or worn out....rather than just diagnostics.

I had a local indy (who I now don't use) tell me my o/s fan wasn't working. When I asked if he'd taken it out and investigated what the exact problem was...i.e. was it a fuse, the motor, a solenoid....etc he said the wheel arch liner would have to come out etc.......????? So why had he not done that to check?
Too much effort? It would have to e done anyway if the fan was to be replaced.

After I convinced him to take off the liner he reported that the fan was fine....it was a small twig stuck in the fan blades that was stopping it going round..... job done , money saved.... :?:

I now have a well regarded reliable Indy doing all my work.... :thumb:

This probably doesnt apply in this case .. but as anyone who has read my posts then you will know i always try to put the garages point of view accross ...

It is without Malice its just to try and give a balenced view from both the customer and the garages point of view on things .

This applys to OPC and Indy ..

car in for a service .. during which i make note of worn parts , oil leaks and parts not functioning correctly ... this then gets sent to the service advisor .

Often i will finsh the service and get on with the next job awaiting authority on what work the customer wants done out of what i have noted .

Fan fault .. the mechanic should say its not working on stage 1 AND stage 2 .. but do i investigate it with out authority from the customer ? .. No i dont , this is chargable work .. im not going to strip Anything down with out the customers say so .. i just report an item doesnt work .

To be fair if its a light then we dont charge labor for fitting a bulb .. we just do it but i expect not every garage is the same .

The trouble is when the service advisor then trys to guess and price whats actually wrong to save time ..

He should say .. the item doesnt work and its probably this or that but without investigation we cant say for sure and that will take approx " X " amount of time .

I have put on the report F.I.R .. further inv. required and thats what i mean.

Light not working and it probably is a bulb , stage 1 fan inop and it probably is a fan resistor .. but i will never be sure untill i investigate a fault.

If i was to take it upon my self to take appart something , test it then confirm what was actually at fault .. i would get shot .. the customer may well say he knows and is going to do it himself .. ive waisted upto an hour or possibly more on some faults ... hence im afraid the report states the item is inop and if the customer wants the fault to be fixed i will then start testing .. but not untill .

Your points are well made and noted deMort..... :thumb:

I won't bore you with the other service related faux-pas that the Indy made other than to say I wasn't too happy when he confirmed that "he" could do and MOT, (my fault for assuming his place was an official MOT station) but he drove my car out of his garage, 30 miles round trip to an official station, paid £25 for the MOT, yet charged me £40 plus labour (driving time) to have it done.... :nooo: It's stunts like that which are frustrating.....

Anyway....I now have a good and reliable Indy....

...mine was similarly afflicted and changed both original resistors with the ones helpfully recommended by Alex...now all is well and I noted during an MOT last week that the water temperature is more stable....even when sat idling for a long time during the annual inspection...

My air con is always on which ensures both fans run ...

I didnt think it would be straight forward .. im afraid i have learned from here that not all garages are equal .. before coming here i had stupidly assumed they were :oops:

I try to explain things from both points of view .. but i realise sticking up for a " not so good " garage isnt the best way forward ... either way though ..

Ive done my best to explain our way of doing things which is all i intended to do :)

If you now have a good Indy then .. excellent .. i always say .. build a realationship when you can .. it helps both of us .. we know what you want so can do that work .. you understand that things break no matter what we try .. bills can go higher .. but we can also quote and the bill will be lower .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back