Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Battery Replacement at 6.5 years good - ?

Pip1968

As the GT, R & RS section is always a little quiet out of season I thought I would bash this up for a bit of discussion.

I bought a Bosch S5 010 battery in August 2012 (£85 ECP) for my 996 GT3 which always sits on trickle charge when not in use. I probably only do 2,000 miles per year on average over that time. Last weekend it was due its MoT so after getting it out went to a home (5 miles)and then to a friends (25 miles and started both times with a bit of gas (I think) and then shopping and for something to eat. The car would not start in the once I went to leave the supermarket. I was in the middle of ringing the ADAC and managed to get it going eventaully with a bit of gas (foot lightly on the pedal) and also found it difficult once we had gone to get some food and went to leave an hour or two later.

I got home and once in the garage and parked I went to start her again after the trickel charger had been on her (charger showing green light) and got the same as in the supermarket the dash lights all on but just the click click click noise with the car not turning over.

Anyway I have ordered another Bosch S5 010 (£105 Tanya). It has all sort of caveats to the 5 year guarantee on it about it not dropping below 12.10V and 50% discharged or 10.6V 100% discharged :roll: .

My new one pictured here shows 12.69V is that acceptable for a new battery not yet fitted???

I should add that I let the fuel go to 25 miles range on the way to the MoT which I dont normally do and filled up at Co-op with their premium fuel. I did think it was dirt in the fuel or letting it get very low and picking up rubbish in the bottom of the tank. I did give it some beans on the motorway on the 25 miles journey there and 25 back and hoped that would sort any fuel problems.

So battery, fuel or something worse? I have not fitted the new battery yet. With the old battery and if static whilst connected to the car still what should the battery have voltage wise before I start the engine??

Pip

Attachments

• bosch_s5_010_feb_2019_549.jpg
    bosch_s5_010_feb_2019_549.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 4,904
Great life on the previous S5. :thumb:

In the industry that I'm in, 12.54V is the acceptance level for a good condition battery, so you will be OK.

Did you put the meter on the old battery?

9/10 that's the starter motor at fault.

F.I.(any) Engines need no gas pedal to start IIRC.

Well Senoj, multimeter put on the old battery and it is showing 10.80 Volts.

Car started fine with a battery charger connected but as soon as it was disconnected it failed to start. It was turning over but not firing up without the battery charger connected.

Trickle charger is showing the orange light as opposed to a nice green LED so presumably it is not holding or taking charge.

Pip

Ps volt meter on the dash was showing above 14 Volts once car was started

10.8 is not enough :)

I thought I read that it was clicking? If it's turning over and not firing up then something else going on. I had intermittent click, click thing and new starter motor fixed it.

6 cells in a battery and approx 2.1 volts per cell .. if a cell dies (the plates short out due to oxidation and debris build up in the base) .. you are left with 5 and the voltage will be just above 10 volts .

Car seems to charge fine given the 14 volts when running .

A starter fault and you normally have 12 volts in the battery but it will often click but not spin over .

A new battery at 12.6 volts means it is fully charged .

So any recommendations on people who will refurbish my starter motor (preferably someone in the SE but anywhere is fine).

Failing that is a replacement best through Porsche or is there someone that supplies them without Porsche tax??

Pip

ECP do them for around £300 exchange. Porsche want to sell you a new one for £1K so no surprise there :eek:

Thank you Nick and wow :eek: that is some difference - ECP/Porsche

Pip :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back