Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil springs - colour codes

timbo1811

hi all, have to replace the front springs on my C2, just watched a you tube video where this was done without the use of a spring compressor, or having to remove the strut, does this seem doable like this.

Its iffy at best .. if you are strong and can pull the spring / shock out from the arch / wing then its possible .. ive only ever done it this way on a Boxster and i needed help ... but im only little .

You can unwind the coil spring and wind a new one on .. a fair bit of leverage is required though .

remove/ undo the diag arm , undo the link rod and you can get the shock down a bit more to try and get it out .. you have to manually compress the shock though... plenty of masking tape on the wing .

If pasm then forget this method .

Personnely .. i dont like to risk it .

Caliper off .. arms off and take out the whole lot with the hub on it .. then change the spring ... link rod is undone at the bar not the shock end .

thanks Demort. Any advice on best place to purchase?

I have a brand new set of four coil springs for a C2 that I wrongly ordered for my C2S if you're interested.

colour code front and back

Sorry to raise an old thread but I have been trying to discover whether the front and rear springs should have the same colour codes, the ones I have just got from OPC don't.

I think I should have posted in the 997 forum. Moved and merged by Moderator.

Im no expert on parts im afraid but i think front and rear will have different colours ..

site i use for questions like this is here .. its on the front springs ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2813&MAK=3&MDL=26&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

No. 7

Basically you wipe over the coil springs on your car and you should see the colour bands .. if you have different colours on your new ones then its not the right ones .

Thank you deMort, I read somewhere that Porsche changed their colour codes!! I will ring the OPC tomorrow and try and get some confirmation, I may have the wrong ones fitted I suppose.

ps. while car was parked in the garage waiting for some decent weather, the NSR rear spring broke too, So that's both nearside springs broken without being driven, bet you've never heard of that happening!!

I dont remember any customer telling me that before .. but if they are about to break then takeing them up in the air seems to finish them off as ive herd them go whilst doing this.

Although it might have already been broken but the weight was still holding together i guess .. either way it can be a loudish bang !

If unsure about any part then geting an OPC to look it up via your chassis number is best .. you just ask them for the part number .

thanks for that, OPC used my reg to confirm the parts supplied were correct, so I suspect someone has been there before me!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back