Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PB Coilovers

DavidM

Hi all,

After doing a bit of research I decided to try out a set of PB coilovers on my 98 C2. Have done about 3k miles on them including a 1300 mile road trip up the west coast of Scotland and back. Thought I'd post up my opinion of them, no affiliation just my opinion as I couldn't find a Porsche review of them.

I've owned a lot of different cars running coilovers mainly Jap and BMW and have experience of BC, Buddyclub, Tein, Eibach and a couple others. The PB coilovers share some distinct similarities to other more expensive coilover brands which also originate in Taiwan :wink:

The overall quality of them appears very good, better than I expected for the price, well finished, similar to BC. I ordered mine with camber adjustable pillowball top mounts. Fitment was relatively straight forward and the only issues I came across were the rear height adjustment perches do not have a hole or window in them to view how much thread is remaining when adjusting up the ride height. The rear top mounts are also a finer thread than the original Porsche items and are not supplied with nuts where as the fronts are the same thread as the originals. It's difficult to make camber adjustments on the coilover itself once fitted at the front but that's more due to the design of the strut top rather than the coilover itself.

On the road they are very good, soft settings on the dampers are very soft (softer than standard dampers) I've settled at around 22/23 clicks front and rear out of 30 damper settings. On most other coilovers that would be very hard but it's given a firm but compliant ride quality with the car handling nice and flat, I have lowered it approx 40mm all round and tweeked alignment also.

Overall I'm impressed by them, they feel as good as previous coilovers I have spent quite a bit more on. I obviously can't comment on longevity but time will tell.

:stay:

Thanks for doing the write up, I've seen a few good reviews of these on different forums......tempting :?:

Bought them from pbbrakes.com, total price with shipping and import duty was just over £800.

I coated them with Dinitrol corroheat, designed for engine bays but I've found it to work well on suspension components. I suspect as with other mid range coilovers I've had in the past the finish looks good but probably wouldn't last long without an extra coating.

Been running them on mine for over 2 years and can't fault them either to be honest and as said they are very similar in look to the bc coilovers I put on my wife's merc. I run mine what is classed as too low to folk on here but even at that height I have no issues as you retain full damper travel no matter how low you run them.

Any pics?

When I purchased my 996 it had a set of these fitted.

Needless to say I was very, very skeptical, the value end of the coilover market seems to be frowned upon in Porsche circles, while they seem very popular and generally well thought of in the Japanese and BMW world.

I expected the worse, however upon inspection the build quality was decent and there was plenty of adjustment from a ride height and rebound perspective.

On the road the damping was surprisingly good, I then proceeded to track the car, I wound up the rebound and expected the worst, but again I was pleasantly surprised, they performed well with no issues.

I cant speak of longevity as I have no idea how long they were on the car before I purchased and I have since removed them, not thought fault or failure I hasten to add.

For a road car I would say they offer great performance value.

Just been directed to this thread as I've been asking about coil overs on the cheaper end of the scale.
I had bc's on a previous car. Found them very hard. Had them set to soft on the adjuster at the top of the strut but unsure how they were set up other wise as I didn't buy them.
I'm just fitting spax springs atm to my mo30 bilstiens but I would be keen on trying coil overs just to get a fresh set up.

How did they behave over the winter?

Just resurrecting this thread. Can't anyone tell me how much strut they have coming through the bottom of the hub? Just about to fit a set and wanted to see what others did.

I don't know a measurement to give as I have most of the threaded section of the strut inside the strut mounting as I wanted mine really low. You'll just have to pic a point to pinch it and then lower it onto its wheels and go from there,could be a case of jacking it up and down and adjusting till your happy but you could start with the bottom of threads flush with the strut mounting and see how you get on 👍🏻

Dsmithmobile said:
I don't know a measurement to give as I have most of the threaded section of the strut inside the strut mounting as I wanted mine really low. You'll just have to pic a point to pinch it and then lower it onto its wheels and go from there,could be a case of jacking it up and down and adjusting till your happy but you could start with the bottom of threads flush with the strut mounting and see how you get on 👍🏻

Ok thanks a million for the reply.

DavidM said:
Hi all,

After doing a bit of research I decided to try out a set of PB coilovers on my 98 C2. Have done about 3k miles on them including a 1300 mile road trip up the west coast of Scotland and back. Thought I'd post up my opinion of them, no affiliation just my opinion as I couldn't find a Porsche review of them.

I've owned a lot of different cars running coilovers mainly Jap and BMW and have experience of BC, Buddyclub, Tein, Eibach and a couple others. The PB coilovers share some distinct similarities to other more expensive coilover brands which also originate in Taiwan :wink:

The overall quality of them appears very good, better than I expected for the price, well finished, similar to BC. I ordered mine with camber adjustable pillowball top mounts. Fitment was relatively straight forward and the only issues I came across were the rear height adjustment perches do not have a hole or window in them to view how much thread is remaining when adjusting up the ride height. The rear top mounts are also a finer thread than the original Porsche items and are not supplied with nuts where as the fronts are the same thread as the originals. It's difficult to make camber adjustments on the coilover itself once fitted at the front but that's more due to the design of the strut top rather than the coilover itself.

On the road they are very good, soft settings on the dampers are very soft (softer than standard dampers) I've settled at around 22/23 clicks front and rear out of 30 damper settings. On most other coilovers that would be very hard but it's given a firm but compliant ride quality with the car handling nice and flat, I have lowered it approx 40mm all round and tweeked alignment also.

Overall I'm impressed by them, they feel as good as previous coilovers I have spent quite a bit more on. I obviously can't comment on longevity but time will tell.

So, two years on, how are they lasting? Would appreciate an update as I'm interested in a set. Thanks.

DavidM said:
Hi all,

How are they lasting? Would appreciate an update as I'm interested in getting a set. Thanks.

The Scoop said:
DavidM said:
Hi all,

How are they lasting? Would appreciate an update as I'm interested in getting a set. Thanks.

Mine are on a year and a half now and are still like the day they were fitted. Excellent. :thumb:

Had mine on around 4 years now and still going strong and even at the ***** low height I run are still very comfortable 👍🏼

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back