Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to check rear wing fault ?

Checkmate

Hi Guys, hope you are having good weekend!

My spoiler stop working. I've check fuses, I've took off back cover and check the hydraulic pump it looks like there is no power supply to the pump when I press the switch.
My question is, am I doing this correctly? I mean is it possible to erect spoiler with open rear hood ?

There is no worning light too, should I buy new switch and try it or it may be something else ?

Thanks

Although I can't help with the diagnosis portion of your question, I can confirm that you can deploy the spoiler up with it open as I did it this morning whilst washing the car.

FZP said:
Although I can't help with the diagnosis portion of your question, I can confirm that you can deploy the spoiler up with it open as I did it this morning whilst washing the car.

Thank you FZP, that's mean it's not the mechanism, and not the fuse. I think I'll get new switch and try play with it.

Many thanks for that :thumb:

Now I may be way off here but, the stock spoiler on a C4S and C2S surely is electric not hydraulic? I believe it is only hydraulic on the turbo style wing. I know this because I have rebuilt mine with new rams :)

Yup its electric on all 997 other than fixed wing or Turbo ..

Turbo has a hydraulic pump .

The motor is driven from the Rear end control unit which is under the passenger seat .. so first things first ..

Its a cab , water can leak into it and the rear control unit is the one that gets wet .. have a look under the n/s/f seat and make sure its dry .

Secondly .. if you drive the car over 70 mph then the spoiler should raise on its own .. it it doesnt you will get a warning message on the dash as its a safety system .

Im assumeing you have not had this mesage and have driven at speeds were it would deploy ?

Going with yes on the above then logically we are left with the rear control unit is not getting a signal from the switch OR the codeing has messed up and it thinks it no longer has a spoiler .

jl-c said:
Now I may be way off here but, the stock spoiler on a C4S and C2S surely is electric not hydraulic? I believe it is only hydraulic on the turbo style wing. I know this because I have rebuilt mine with new rams :)

You absolutely right jl-c , I should check this before I post that :oops:
It is electric of course.

deMort said:
Yup its electric on all 997 other than fixed wing or Turbo ..

Turbo has a hydraulic pump .

The motor is driven from the Rear end control unit which is under the passenger seat .. so first things first ..

Its a cab , water can leak into it and the rear control unit is the one that gets wet .. have a look under the n/s/f seat and make sure its dry .

Secondly .. if you drive the car over 70 mph then the spoiler should raise on its own .. it it doesnt you will get a warning message on the dash as its a safety system .

Im assumeing you have not had this mesage and have driven at speeds were it would deploy ?

Going with yes on the above then logically we are left with the rear control unit is not getting a signal from the switch OR the codeing has messed up and it thinks it no longer has a spoiler .

Thank you for your reply deMort, I've checked under passenger seat and is dry and tidy there. I don't know how I could diagnose that control unit really. Would the scanner do the job? I'm planning to get one anyway for the other things in future.

But as we said, I'm driving over 70mph early morning everyday, I did check few times on the other cars reflection and it's definitely no working.. having said that, if the switch is foulty- the spoiler still should come up over 70 is that right ?

Thank you

If the spoiler is not raiseing when it should but you dont get a warning message then i can only assume the car thinks everything is ok .. in other words it thinks it hasnt got a spoiler .

This would be a codeing issue and depending on the type of tester you have may or may not be available to you .

There are other things but i would start with a tester and check values for the spoiler , fault codes .. if i could operate it with the tester etc before moveing onto checking the wireing .

I would tend to say get an indy to have a bit of a look and diagnose it as theres very little i can say that will help you im afraid .

deMort said:
If the spoiler is not raiseing when it should but you dont get a warning message then i can only assume the car thinks everything is ok .. in other words it thinks it hasnt got a spoiler .

This would be a codeing issue and depending on the type of tester you have may or may not be available to you .

There are other things but i would start with a tester and check values for the spoiler , fault codes .. if i could operate it with the tester etc before moveing onto checking the wireing .

I would tend to say get an indy to have a bit of a look and diagnose it as theres very little i can say that will help you im afraid .

If you want to DIY, I can confirm that the Foxwell NT510/520 diagnostic tool (around UKP 100 or so) can code it to either Fixed or Lifting

You check on another cars reflection at 70!

James M-S said:
You check on another cars reflection at 70!

Need a new phrase for this unusual activity - "Bonnet-gating" or "nose-gating"?

:D

deMort said:

Thanks deMort, I'll do what you suggested. I've booked appointment on 05/03 to local indy. He is not a mechanic, more like electrical and AV field but we'll known on 993 forum.

Will let you know the results after.

Thx :)

systech1 said:
If you want to DIY, I can confirm that the Foxwell NT510/520 diagnostic tool (around UKP 100 or so) can code it to either Fixed or Lifting

Thanks systech1, I'll get that in future for sure at the moment I willl go with deMort suggestion as I'm not feeling very comfortable with IT stuff, I'm 43 you see :pc: :D but yes, definitely it the future it's not really expensive and it's handy to have it.

Checkmate said:
deMort said:

Thanks deMort, I'll do what you suggested. I've booked appointment on 05/03 to local indy. He is not a mechanic, more like electrical and AV field but we'll known on 993 forum.

Will let you know the results after.

Thx :)

deMort, I went to Indy yesterday but only faults he could find it was C152 and 8007, he couldn't find anything that is directly related to faulty spoiler. Not sure what to do now.
- fuses ok
- no power supply to spoiler motor
- no codes
- clean and dry under passenger seat
:dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back