Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3.4 engine seized a few questions / put me out my misery :-(

That must be a steel flywheel.

See the inner ring with two teeth missing?

Thats the trigger for the crank sensor.

Crank sensor is a hall effect sensor that measures magentic field.

When a tooth goes before the sensor it will detect the change in magnetic field and produce a waveform. From the teeth it will get a square waveform telling the ECU the RPM. From the missing tooth it will know the crank angle (hence the ECU then knows when the engine is at TDC).

So it needs a ferrous material to work the hall sensor.

Picked the car up yesterday all sorted
February been an expensive month so far

Will post a pic of the flywheel with the damaged teeth shortly
Mike at zentrum did say something interesting that has got me going back through my cars receipt collection

As per when I last had the clutch and fly changed before (not at zentrum) I asked the "while you've got the gearbox off can you check the IMS and could you also confirm which IMS I have in it"
As I forgot to ask that last time at Steve bulls
Anyway mike thinks my engine has been replaced at some point as it doesn't have the older model dual and it doesn't have the cross over single row I had expected
But said it's got a larger 22mm (I think that's what he said) that you wouldn't expect to of found in my "Y reg " car

Check the engine number, that will tell you the engine type, year of manufacture, and whether it is a factory recon unit.

MC

If its got the larger Nut then it has had a replacement engine fitted and probably on extended warrenty.

I think it was 06 when these came out .. which btw no one told us and it was only when fitting the first of these we kinda went .. hold on thats different !

As MC says .. have a look at the engine number .. ill also bet the engine number and whats on your log book / paper work dont match .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back