Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 with 997 S 3.8 engine swap

My 996.1 is going to Hartech for a rebuild and capacity increase this month.

I spoke with them about the possibility of going to a 3.9 but as mentioned previously there were just too many experimental type issues that I put on my sensible head and decided on the standard 3.7. I may spend some of the savings on further lightening the car (which I reckon is about 1270kg at the moment).

RankBajin said:
My 996.1 is going to Hartech for a rebuild and capacity increase this month.

I spoke with them about the possibility of going to a 3.9 but as mentioned previously there were just too many experimental type issues that I put on my sensible head and decided on the standard 3.7. I may spend some of the savings on further lightening the car (which I reckon is about 1270kg at the moment).

Be interested to hear what have you done to get the weight down to 1270kg's? - Have you had it on a scale, 1270 is very light.

I've not had it on the scale but using the standard weights ELA recorded on his thread it should be about that. It's a '98 C2 RPM CSR so at the lower end to start with then it's a case of the sum of a lot of small savings... the biggies are -27kgs on seats, 2-3kgs per wheel, 6kg on the flywheel, 6kg on the bootlid, 1-2kg per corner on the Ohlins, 2kgs on the rear wiper delete, 10kgs on the rear seats, 10kgs on the toolkit and spacesaver plus whatever the saving on new manifolds and 200cell cats are on OEM.

Cheers :thumb:

IMHO I think you will struggle to be below 1300Kgs.

Having done everything you mention on the same platform, plus more, giro disc, sound deadening & dash delete, cup wheel, Odessey battery, lightweight bonnet, airbag delete etc etc

I had the car corner weighted at CoG, I expected around 1280, I was nowhere near, the car came in at 1297 with no fuel.

Chris mentioned to me everyone thinks their car is lighter than it is if you can get anywhere near 1270 you will have done very well, PCGB C2 Racecars are circa 1240.

Really? That's disappointing.

I was thinking of the battery, dash, and bonnet next.

Full tank of fuel in this picture, made a few changes since but nothing huge.

36495485173_5b92338bfd_h.jpg

I'm going to add more power, rather than stripping weight out.

I'll be really interested to see what power / torque it produces when you're done. For me 3.7 + some bits and bobs was the limit of cost/benefit.

It'll be worth it! 8)

RankBajin said:
Really? That's disappointing.

I was thinking of the battery, dash, and bonnet next.

It was, however upon reflection I personally think the numbers that are banded about forums are exaggerated and set unrealistic expectations.

The weights quoted for parts removed are usually correct, however its the base weight of the cars that appear to be largely underestimated.

You can see from Dammits car 1492Kgs, less 62kg for fuel still puts it at circa 1430kg.

Odessey battery gives excellent weight saving bang for buck, circa 12Kg for £150.

Dash delete give 1Kg for about the same money.

Yeah. I'd be interested to know the genuine weight of a bog standard early C2... I was working from 1320-1350 kgs depending on options. I wonder how much heavier a convertible like Dammit's is? I would have thought 100kgs or so...

Never mind, I suppose the ultimate weight is moot as it's all relative.

Porsche has a 996.1 as being 1320Kg, this seems total BS, I have taken 100kg's out of mine which would mean with an interior and two seats it would weight 20Kg's lighter than a full blown stripped out PCGB race car.

I previously found this info which seems more realistic.

C2 Manual 1370 kg to 1480 kg
C2 Tip 1425 kg to 1535kg

C2 Cab Manual 1450 kg to 1540 kg
C2 Cab Tip 1450 kg to 1540 kg

Ultimately as you say its moot, regardless of where you start, everything you remove helps.

Interesting read,

plate on my C4S read 1870kg so much heavier then C2 :eek:

77szymon said:
Interesting read,

plate on my C4S read 1870kg so much heavier then C2 :eek:

It's that big fat bum! :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211