Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

Halcyon said:
deMort said:
Where on earth do you fit an ibus20 on a 996 cab ?

I looked everywhere and there was no where i could find .. behind the dash and it seems to have space but it would be a whole world of problems trying to make brackets for it .. let alone the vibration issue of that location .

Mine's in the passenger side rear footwell.
And despite Dammit's worries, it hasn't decapitated anyone... yet ;)

It is a rather large sub , in that position its not hidden which was the main purpose trying to be achieved here .. i think it would reduce the rear position of that seat as well but i didnt really check that .

I can tell you all the positions it doesnt fit though lol .

I did actually measure under the drivers seat , passengers and you have a control unit there so thats out ...

I make it about 5.5 cm depth , theres a stupid bent bar for the seat rails which reduces the clearence by about 3 cm .. if you could have the seat in a fixed position then its fine .. but thats never going to happen . .. the standard type of sub would fit width and length but most seem to be 7cm depth .. thats too much .

After extensive checking i now feel the rear section under the cab roof rear carpet .. it would be a struggle to fit any sub there .. there is room but even the standard sub seems pretty dam close to the cab roof in the open position hitting it ... i would need another sub of standard size to confirm but thats my opinion so far from measureing it .

Standard size to me is 280 x 200 x 7 cm .

You can see it within the car, but my side windows are tinted and you can't see it from the outside.
It's not the best place as it makes the rear foot well unusable for, well... feet.
But the bass needs a boost that the door speakers can't give, there's a mighty battle going on between car / road noise and the stereo so the order of the day for me is "Compromise"

Yup i totally understand .

My remit was about hiding it .. and i failed miserably im afraid .. i tryed but without a huge cost i coulden,t find a place to hide it ... trust me i half stripped the car trying to find a place .

I would have loved to have found an answer and posted it here .. but im afraid i couldn,t .

This particular sub wil not fit anywere in the rear cab roof section ..even moving other components .. i tryed and measured it .. not possible .

Rca 90 degree angle connections fitted today .. i think it finishes the look of the amp far better than the straight in connections ... no bonnet fouling either .

For me .. the look is about as good as i can get ... sound can be tweaked from the amp so try that first along with the Becker settings .

You also have the option of switching outputs to balence it differently .. i think i have it right but time is a problem so i didnt go too far there .

I had thought loudness on was better but we each have our opinions and you have plenty to play with i think .

A sub .. well i posted above .. even a standard one would be a challenge in a cab im afraid .

over all .. im pleased with the end result .. i hope you are as well :)

Roof flaps tommorrow !

So, I've finally got myself a pair of Alpine speakers to replace both dash and rear originals. Slight issue though.
Someone has already put some replacements in the rear. The originals are long gone with the "new" speakers held in with a combination of screws and gaffer tape....
I'm therefore looking for a pair of old speakers to be able to mount the Alpines properly. Anyone got some?
Also, what was the verdict on replacing the door speakers? Worthwhile or not?

Cheers

mark

g911omr said:
So, I've finally got myself a pair of Alpine speakers to replace both dash and rear originals. Slight issue though.
Someone has already put some replacements in the rear. The originals are long gone with the "new" speakers held in with a combination of screws and gaffer tape....
I'm therefore looking for a pair of old speakers to be able to mount the Alpines properly. Anyone got some?
Also, what was the verdict on replacing the door speakers? Worthwhile or not?

Cheers

mark

Can't help with the old speakers, but I have a Conntinental DAB headunit with the Alpines front and rear, original door speakers. I think it's pretty decent - loads better than stock.

Not sure I'd bother going any further as my car is pretty noisy, so little real benefit.

Dammit said:
That's done, had to be when I swapped to the Becker.

Mixed score for BMW- correct pins, wrong plug:

45644855844_0493367a19_b.jpg

Mr Damnmit,
Did they supply the wrong plug or was it the wrong part ordered ?

Both- their parts guy pointed to the correct plug on his diagram and confidently entered the wrong part number in his order system.

I should probably update this thread.

I swapped out the Hertz speakers in the dash for Morel Virtus 402 midrange and separate tweeter units - silk dome rather than the butyl of the Hertz was one of the things that the audio chap mentioned.

I also had the Focal sub fitted, it's under the dash on the passenger side.

Very happy with how it all sounds now - but still a bit frustrated at the radio reception of the Becker, which is excellent at playing CD's, but seems to struggle to hold onto Radio 4.

Dammit,
Did you use the BMW sourced socket ultimately? If so can you provide the definitive part numbers for the shell and pins please.

With regards to your radio reception, the aerial on the 996 are amplified and need to be powered, does the aerial adaptor you're using provide power to it? Also it isn't unknown for the aerial amplifier to stop working, someone with access to the parts catalogue can help with the numbers.

Was it worth swapping to the Morel speakers? The 996 is quite noisy.

The antenna amplifier is new, was changed as part of the troubleshooting process. Are you saying that the amplifier is powered from the stereo?

I can't recall where I got the socket from in the end (unless I mentioned it in this thread?), I might have a spare - will have a look.

The parts are available, is the good news.

I like the Morels - and bear in mind that my car has no roof, so however noisy yours is, I suspect mine might be worse!

You probably used something similar to this :
ct27aa08_1.jpg

The blue wire needs to be connected to +ve ignition on or the electric aerial connection on your HU. It powers the active aerial bit (aerial amplifier)

I don't intend spending lots of money on the audio on my 911, it just needs to sound reasonable, at the moment it isn't, I may have to go down the road of taking the Bose stuff out, the amplifier, the sub and the speakers in the dash. If I can avoid it I will. I don't like altering the original wiring loom so would like to buy or make my own adaptor harness.

Mine is a 2001 996.2 C2 & like the OP's is also pre MOST. However mine left the factory without Bose.

I've upgraded bits in several stages. The 1st was to replace the Becker with a Pioneer carplay unit. The Pioneer's internal amp driving the standard speakers made a significant improvement.

The next upgrade entailed replacing the standard speakers with Alpine's, still driven by the internal amp in the headunit. This was a further improvement, but perhaps not as big a leap as replacing the Becker.

Last but not least, I added a focal active sub, & some dynamat type stuff in the cavity behind the rear speakers. To my ears, it now sounds as good if not better than some "high end" systems I've heard from other vendors (bose, harmon kardon, mark levinson to name a few).

Based on my experience, I suspect the internal amp in your Alpine headunit will adequately drive 2 pairs of speakers. You may want to consider disconnecting the existing speakers from the bose amp, & running some cables to join to these. If you're still not happy with the results, then it would be easy to revert or you could consider replacing the amp, & won't have wasted much beyond some extra cables & your time.

If you have a 3rd pair of speakers (eg lower doors) or bose sub(not sure if this is active or passive?), then you'll obviously need another amp if you want to retain the use of these.

Another option is an active sub like the Focal. They sell two versions (ibus 20 & ibus 2.1). The ibus20 is an active sub. As the name implies the ibus 2.1 is effectively the same unit with an additional internal amp that can be used to drive another pair of speakers. This might be a simple option to allow you to add an active sub, & drive a pair of door speakers, while driving the dash & rear speakers from the headunit.

hth

Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread explaining how to replace the door speakers? both of mine have blown so desperate to get them sorted out!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back