Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

So I''ve done it... Engine Decarbonization

Checkmate

Trainee
Hi Guys, long time no here but I would like to share with you this experience.

About three months ago my mate convinced me to decarbonise my engine. I was bit worried that flakes of carbon can get between piston ring and the bore sleeve and do some scratches . However the brave ones saying that flakes of carbon you can compare to carmelized sugar that is sticked on the pan - it's very hard to scrape this off but when you do, it's very ease to breake this flake in your fingers.
Anyway engine start to respond like a mad!!! It feels like I have 30bhp more!
It's sound amazing! No more this kind of muffled gurgle that you hear on old cars.
Some time ago I was waiting in Porsche Chiswick for my parts and they just start one c4 to show to the client,we all know how the new ones sounds like, i thougt why my one doesn't sound like that ? -it does now !!! :D

Here is what I've done;

-Heat up your engine to 90deg
- remove air intake hose from throttle body
- place someone in your car that will help you to keep revs up to 1.5 /2k
- then spray about 50mg of clean water to the throttle body - VERY SLOWLY! This operation should take you about 4/6 min.

You can buy some special stuff for this operation too, but it's no point as clean water working great on hot engine.

Put everything back tougether and take it for a drive, first 2 miles do it very gently, you will hear flakes of carbon mobing in the cilinders, than press your foot properly as you like. All carbon will get out through the exhoust. And than you will start to feel and hear difference.

Need to add that I've done it three months ago, I'm using may car everyday, there is no difference in oil consumption. Car response better and sound better. I don't have figures but regarding petrol it feels like drink little bit less to.

Good luck !

:) :) :D

No one will comment that really ? :dont know:

pzero - looks like you killed it with this spam on the fist page :D

I like the theory of carbon cleaning but after investigateing a bit at work there is no system we have found that we are comfortable with atm .

Its excellent that this worked for you but i can honestly say it scares the crap out of me just thinking about this method ... but to be fair , its ingrained in me that water and a running engine dont mix .

People started injecting water into running engines in about WW2.

deMort said:
It still scares me half to death though :D

Thanks for your comment deMort

I am not an expert like you mate, but let's try think logically, what the worst could happen...

1 steel parts may get rusty - valves and rings I'm not sure what else water will contact on the way to cylinder ?

2 thermal shock could take place and in worst case something may crack ?

I'm thinking

1 petrol it self it's bit fatty and if we won't live engine off straight after processing it should all get out .

2 all idea is to do this VERY GENTLY and SLOWLY spray bottle need to be used , temperature of mist is not really lower than the air that goes in to manifold.
Should I worm up the water a bit ?

For me the most scary was this lose carbon flakes bouncing above piston head
I did really hear them in exhaust for several seconds

I'm planning to do this again in few years time. But this time I'll take photos before and after by scope camera.

Or there is something that I'm not aware off and you may pool me out of the idea :dont know: ?

It was done 3 months ago and if I wasn't happy from the results I wouldn't even think to write this post.

All operation is risky as hell if you rush with it or doing something incorrectly.

Anyway I'm happy with the results so fare. :thumbs:

I cant really comment on the worst that could happen .. water into an engine running , carbon bits coming off ..

Ive seen blown engines due to water ingress .. ive seen snapped timing chains due to carbon buildup in the heads / pistons .. i see the bad stuff basically .

This may well work and be a good idea but i see the bad things and hence this method scares me ..

If i had a machine that did it for me then fair enough .. im trusting someone else and useing their kit .

Basically .. im old .. we are taught this is a bad thing and its very difficult for me at least to change.

Im not saying dont do it .. im just saying it scares me as a mechanic .

I can see the benifits .. i can understand the reasons and if i was 24 instead of 54 then i would probably be happy with it .. but im not .

It worked .. it is a sensible idea .. i guess .. but it still scares me ... and thats an age thing im afraid .

surely the worst that could happen is you grenade the engine ? :eek: :eek:

deMort said:
I cant really comment on the worst that could happen .. water into an engine running , carbon bits coming off ..

Ive seen blown engines due to water ingress .. ive seen snapped timing chains due to carbon buildup in the heads / pistons .. i see the bad stuff basically .

This may well work and be a good idea but i see the bad things and hence this method scares me ..

If i had a machine that did it for me then fair enough .. im trusting someone else and useing their kit .

Basically .. im old .. we are taught this is a bad thing and its very difficult for me at least to change.
Im not saying dont do it .. im just saying it scares me as a mechanic .

I can see the benifits .. i can understand the reasons and if i was 24 instead of 54 then i would probably be happy with it .. but im not .

It worked .. it is a sensible idea .. i guess .. but it still scares me ... and thats an age thing im afraid .

Thank you for your honest comment, I understand your point of view.

BTW I'm 42. :shoot: and still have some insane ideas sometimes :)

Thx

Guys, if you do it you do it on your own risk.
It worked for me, but it doesn't mean you won't damage your engine...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back