Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

very neat.. Makes mine look a bit of mess!
But with a cat like attitude to ignoring things i can't see... It is all covered up by the plastic covers! :thumb:

On that note- I'm going to see if I can install the sub in the passenger footwell, specifically in the lower section of the dash where the 996.2 cars have the glovebox. That way it'll be behind the plastic cover, yet still accessible if needs be, and won't affect seat position/movement.

I need to strip the dash back a bit to see if this will work, which I have not found time for yet.

I've been in the US for the past couple of weeks, dropped the car off with Precision just before I went as working outside is, frankly, no fun at this time of year.

46865540881_8d344e2d6f_o.jpg

46865541061_f1bcebc217_o.jpg

46865541201_7e834c516e_o.jpg

Dammit said:
On that note- I'm going to see if I can install the sub in the passenger footwell, specifically in the lower section of the dash where the 996.2 cars have the glovebox. That way it'll be behind the plastic cover, yet still accessible if needs be, and won't affect seat position/movement.

I need to strip the dash back a bit to see if this will work, which I have not found time for yet.

Have you looked to see if the 986 or Cayman subwoofer fits behind the rear seats?

https://thumbsnap.com/s/VpJXfEos.jpg?0125

Just got off the phone with Precision, their view is that I might be happy with just the woofers, I'll pop down tomorrow morning for a listen.

Very neat.

And yes think of the weight adding more speakers. :hand:
You'll need your 3.7 just to counter the weight of the stereo installation. :wink:

Didn't drive the car, so from a stationary perspective the system does sound good - very clear, no distortion, but listening to Smack my bitch up back-to-back with the C55 does show that a sub fills in a significant section of the music which is missing in the Porsche.

Holsts Mars and Jupiter are about equal, and Radio 4 was much better than it was - trying to listen to the News Quiz with the roof down on B roads was quite hard before, but there's much more volume available now.

I dropped off the Porsche Bose-Subwoofer, more for them to see if it would fit than any expectation that it could be used as-is (it's a very small speaker for something that needs to output a low-frequency), also wondering if the shell might be able to be re-purposed (it goes in the passenger footwell).

Where on earth do you fit an ibus20 on a 996 cab ?

I looked everywhere and there was no where i could find .. behind the dash and it seems to have space but it would be a whole world of problems trying to make brackets for it .. let alone the vibration issue of that location .

It occurs to me that my previous post wasn't 100% clear, so an update:

I'm not disappointed - I think that the quality and clarity of the sound is a huge step up, and as an upgrade to the existing six speaker system it's a clear winner. Purely from the perspective of volume (without any distortion), which in a cab is important, the new setup is on a new level - driving to Brands Hatch last summer I really struggled to hear the afternoon play on Radio 4, that won't be a problem this year.

I think that the soundscape would gain from the addition of a sub, based on listening to the same tracks back-to-back in the C55 (HK Logic7) and the 996. That's not to say I'm unhappy with what I've now got in the 911, far from it.

The installation looks (and feels, I did give the amp bracket a tug!) very high quality, and critically it's an install that (if you didn't know these cars) you'd think was stock, which is a big thing for me, and my OEM+ obsession.

I was amazed at the difference toggling on and off "Becker Surround" made, which means that there's a huge scope for adjustment to the sound by playing with the settings on amp I suspect - shakedown, testing and setup needed there. Currently there's no adjustments on the output of the amp.

Would I be happier if there had been a convenient place for the sub? Yes, but there isn't, so that's that. It's important to me for the sub (a big, very heavy and sharp edged metal box) to be permanently physically attached to the main chassis of the car. I'm not turning into Paddock Hill bend to discover I just killed my passenger with a speaker.

I did leave the Porsche-Bose-Cab sub with Precision, which I could not see how would fit given I have no lower centre-console, but it's entirely possible that I was wrong on that when I shoved it in the footwell, so we'll see what happens there.

deMort said:
Where on earth do you fit an ibus20 on a 996 cab ?

I looked everywhere and there was no where i could find .. behind the dash and it seems to have space but it would be a whole world of problems trying to make brackets for it .. let alone the vibration issue of that location .

Mine's in the passenger side rear footwell.
And despite Dammit's worries, it hasn't decapitated anyone... yet ;)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back